Where to start laminate flooring in a non square room?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie46237

I have a question:

I have a partially square room....meaning the left side of the room is a square but the right side of the room has a few angles. I started putting down my laminate from left to right as suggested by the manufacturer and I was almost done until I got to the angled portion of my wall. I'm stuck and I can't get the angled cut pieces in.

What can I do? I don't want to take apart the whole room because we have just 10 % extra flooring for waste and really don't want to buy any more. I also know that once you take laminate flooring apart it doesn't seem to fit as well as it did the first time. For future reference how do you suggest I put down flooring in an angled room? Start at the angles or continue left to right?

Thanks!

You need to skive, shave, plane, pare down the lock so you can slide the board laterally.

shave.jpg

Floor Maven,
I dont think the explanation is really what hes getting at. Instead of shaving off the nose trying using a simple angle finder, marking the line, and making the cut on the table saw or miter saw if its big enoughr. It sounds like your just cutting the wrong angles. I just spent all day explainin this to one of my helpers, lol.

I believe Maven is correct in his assumption that quote "I'm stuck and I can't get the angled cut pieces in." As trying to pull an angled piece together is an exorcise in futility. Or is that exercise in futility? :D

One can also do the rotating lock method and lock all end joints in and snap the whole row in at once.

This is just a suggestion to Ken as u described in the forum I'm thinking you have both sides on one half of the room are Angled opposite each side. Can I suggest an idea? If u have news paper or cardboard to cover both angles area from ware it ends being a square and put the paper or card board across taped together of Coors in the needed unfinished area cut it all out and take that out to ware you r cutting. As you put ea. piece in this will give you an measurement and better idea and put you closer to what u need to cut. Hope this helps. Margie

Ken
professionals love to watch customers do it on you tube! Lol I wish people would put it on. jK we love getting the call from the customer who thinks we r over charging saying I can do it myself, only to spend more on more money on more product they mess up on , to finally give up! Who eventually want our help and knowledge, who now have a now have a renewed thought of mind and better understanding of what all it takes to do it. Who now are very happy and willing to pay us even a higher charge for messing up the job, because their are rules to every installation, and now we have to work off what they left. Kind of like a Plummer in the operating rm. lol jK I know installers can make a job LOOK easy! But our eyes can deceive us!
Good luck hope u get it done right and no future problems happen. Have a job at it! Lol

I have a question:

I have a partially square room....meaning the left side of the room is a square but the right side of the room has a few angles. I started putting down my laminate from left to right as suggested by the manufacturer and I was almost done until I got to the angled portion of my wall. I'm stuck and I can't get the angled cut pieces in.

What can I do? I don't want to take apart the whole room because we have just 10 % extra flooring for waste and really don't want to buy any more. I also know that once you take laminate flooring apart it doesn't seem to fit as well as it did the first time. For future reference how do you suggest I put down flooring in an angled room? Start at the angles or continue left to right?

Thanks!

It would be nice to see a photo so we can see what you mean,
floormaven's idea is a good fix providing that's the type of issue you are having.

Latest posts

Back