Which tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredlp

Hello new to the forum.
I am plannning to retile our kitchen floor, I have many questions.
Which tile is better for the floor ceramic or porcelian.
I am going over wood sub floor, it has 1bys going on angle and osb t/g sub floor, which is a good base for the tile floor, durock ?
Where can I find how to determine different tile patterns, I am planning on hop scotch pattern on 45 degree to room.
any advice is welcome..

Pocelain takes a stronger subfloor than ceramic. Remember CBU offers no structural strength to a floor. It is a decoupler. It allows a small amoumt of movement to take place in the subfloor without the tile cracking. Your subfloor needs to be a minimum of two layers equaling at least 1 1/8". I don't know where to find patterns on line. You might try the johnbridge forum.

Actually...Porcelain tile is ceramic tile.
Porcelain tile has more density and therefore less water and moisture absorption rate.

Porcelaino, or any derivation of the word Porcelain (porcelanatto, porcelainitto, etc) is not a true porcelain from a manufacturers standpoint, but it is close enough. Has to do with the recipes used in manufacturing.:D

Bud, I beg to differ. Porcelaino is Italian for porcelain. :rolleyes:

Also ceramic tile has a wide variety of softer body's and the color does not run all the way through it, ie glazed ceramic. Plus porcelaino uses feldspar in the wole body whereas ceramic can have just clay body. neener neener.

Okay okay, I was sluffing off and too lazy to spend time on details.

I should revise my statement to say "American made porcelain".

I should also add that 'honesty in labelling' is done on a voluntary basis. Any maker can call his product anything he wants to I suppose.:)

yes, nice collar. I guess If I looked that good I would put up a huge pic too.

Brian, you are frikin blind. Thanks. :D

I guess this forum works a little different in regards to avatar size. Normally it won't allow photos bigger than their max. I'll try to make it smaller if I can figure out how.

Jaz

Latest posts

Back