White scratches and streaks across wooden floors

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loges

Big newbie here when it comes to wooden floors and home care. I've only recently, and a little too late, learned some common sense when it comes to wooden floor home care. So basically, I arrived at my new rental place recently. And it was my first time having a room in my house with finished wooden floors. (I haven't had the luxury before) when I arrived, there were pain spots on the floor from the walls being repainted prior to my arrival, which was a little irritating, so I decided to try and clean the floors myself. First, I vacuumed the floors, and then proceeded to mop them. Filling a bucked with warm water and conventional (not made for wood) floor cleaner, and proceeded to mop the floors like I always would wherever I lived. I unfortunately wasn't aware of the care and caution that hardwood floors require when it comes to this, I thought nothing of it at the time so like I said, a little bit late on my part haha. So I used probably a bit too much water, didn't care to dry it, used improper product etc etc. Anyway, this will probably make you face palm as anybody who knows a single thing about wooden floors would know this is a stupid idea (aka not me) I proceeded to try and chip off some of the pain drops with the abrasive back of a dish sponge, since the mop wasn't doing anything to help. Obviously I now realize that would cause the finish to strip off. Now, my problem is, there are these white streaks and scratches (likely from the CARPET vacuum cleaner I used as well) across the room and I now have no idea how to remedy it. Whenever I wet the floors, the white marks completely disappear and only the scratches are visible under the right lighting, but once it dries, it's back. Excuse the ignorance since this is my first time dealing with this ever, but does that confirm it is indeed stripped finish? The scratches are all surface scratches across the floor, so my question is, is there some method to remedy the anesthetic of the floors without needing to screen or sand them? The last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of money or worse yet, tell the owner I buggered up his floors when I just arrived, don't think that's a great impression. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

TL;DR - scratched surface of wooden floors, possibly stripped finish as well with incorrect cleaner and too much water. How can I remedy this without sanding or screening?

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_141354.jpg
    IMG_20200912_141354.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20200912_141257.jpg
    IMG_20200912_141257.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 108

Latest posts

Back