Why does hardwood work in this home?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keitht

The neighbor's house sits on the bank of a river. Once every year or so, the river comes up into the basement and gets to within a few feet of the bottom of his subfloor. (The water may stay under there for a day or two and remain soaked for several weeks afterward) Yet he has beautiful solid wood flooring and has for many years. I am a newbie researching all types of flooring and I read a lot about moisture and wood flooring. And yet I look at this guy with his great wood flooring and a river beneath it and wonder. Why does it work for him?

Or he has some awesome quartersawn and I bet it ain't very wide, probably 2 1/4 or so?

What year was the home built?

How old were the trees from which the floor boards in that home came from?

Industry/corporate propaganda likes to tell us that "wood is a renewable resource." But the reality is there's an enormous difference between a forest and a tree farm. Likewise, wood harvested from long standing growths of ancient forests act differently on your floor than something harvested from more recent human engineering.

I'm not really an expert though. Just adding my thoughts.

What year was the home built?

How old were the trees from which the floor boards in that home came from?

Industry/corporate propaganda likes to tell us that "wood is a renewable resource." But the reality is there's an enormous difference between a forest and a tree farm. Likewise, wood harvested from long standing growths of ancient forests act differently on your floor than something harvested from more recent human engineering.

I'm not really an expert though. Just adding my thoughts.

Good points. Still quartersawn in smaller widths still rules.

Since this home's basement floods nearly every year is it a conditioned living space? Is it really high in moisture content all the time?

Latest posts

Back