Why so few tacks in strip

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked a different random piece out of the box, it had no obvious misfires in it ............ just 51 pins.
It's Powerhold 1 X 1 wood strip.

Would you count yours again Stevo..................

If your numbers are correct, I want to ask Powerhold why they are screwin me............. and everyone elseover here. The plywood in the strip is good, but the pin count really really sucks.

I hate cutting small pieces for door trim and door casings because I lose a foot of strip on each side searching for actual tacks in the strip.

My box says:
Powerhold extra wide wood 1X1 tackstrip

Has a part number on it:

Stock number PH-321

Lemme know, would ya? I hate to think they have more than one version of 1 X 1 wood strip and are screwin some of is.
50 pins is bad........ really bad with todays backings.

Oh look, I found a box of Maximus Engineered Extra Wide 5 ply Made in USA, 63 pins and the powerhold has 64.

Not sure if the nailing schedule is the same on 1x1 as concrete strip. Might have something to do with it cus I see some missing pins around some nails once inawhile.

Oh look, I found a box of Maximus Engineered Extra Wide 5 ply Made in USA, 63 pins and the powerhold has 64.

Not sure if the nailing schedule is the same on 1x1 as concrete strip. Might have something to do with it cus I see some missing pins around some nails once inawhile.
They are missing pins an inch from either side of the hails, maybe more.

You are talking just pins, and not including the nails.........right?
If so, I'd love the Powerhold number on the box of 1 X 1 wood strip, so I know that we are talkin apples to apples.

I'm thinkin Powerhold has more than one version of 1 BY 1 wood strip and they are bein deceptive................... no way will I ever count 64 pins on a piece of Powerhold strip.

Mine is not 1x1 wood strip, what ever gave you that idea? :D All mine are concrete strip.

In the old district around the university they are all over basements and crawl spaces. Then it went to slab construction in the 60's...brick and block. Course the newer 2 storys are half n half, stucco.

I lived in one hause that was made of mud adobe, 18 inch thick walls with a walk in basement and hardwood floors. Awesome insulated house. Quite a few of those built back in the day.

In the old district around the university they are all over basements and crawl spaces. Then it went to slab construction in the 60's...brick and block. Course the newer 2 storys are half n half, stucco.

I lived in one hause that was made of mud adobe, 18 inch thick walls with a walk in basement and hardwood floors. Awesome insulated house. Quite a few of those built back in the day.

I always wondered about the construction of an adobe home.......... when the contractor ran out of spit, dd he take a break, or just call it a day? :D

So much nicer lookin Nick, if you make a template and cut out a curved piece of plywood with your router. This way you can make a custom curved tack strip in a single piece.
Your customers jaw will hit the floor. :D

So much nicer lookin Nick, if you make a template and cut out a curved piece of plywood with your router. This way you can make a custom curved tack strip in a single piece.
Your customers jaw will hit the floor. :D

The thing about it ... nobody sees the tack strip. Huh.

TNT

The thing about it ... nobody sees the tack strip. Huh.

TNT
My favorite quote from an old Readers Digest.

Grandson to grandpa:

Why are you sanding the back of that drawer Grandpa? Know body will ever see it.

Grandpa to Grandson:
Yes, but I will know it's there.

Don't you go a laughin Tia.................. I have made tackstrip before, and more complex than a simple curve.
Once in a lifetime most likely, but required in that one special case.

I will try to find it.

...........and I was joking to Nick as par for this topic. :D

Last edited:
I have the biggest sense of humor around, except for right now. My boss (husband's stepdad) is on his deathbed, pretty much. It's stressful, as they want me to take over.

Tia

Here's the tackstrip profile that I made from an unusual job I did a few years back. There was an upper and lower set of steps across the width of a living room. Both steps were about 20 feet wide and the upper one has a landing in which the carpeting was inset flush to the height of the wood.

The same profile shown in the first image was followed on the curved areas using a jigsaw and a round over bit in my router.

The carpet was very thin, so I decided on making this tacking strip and used my electric tacker to fix it into place. Otherwise I'd be pounding down pins which would pull down the loops in this thin commercial carpet.

The carpeting had stripes which needed to be dead on straight/parallel to the wood bullnose........... one additional reason for my decision to hand make the tacking strip.

Pardon these really, really out of focus images........... this $900 lens is still not working well. :mad:

005_2 Tackstrip profile 900.jpg

007_4 tackstrip on curve 900.jpg

008_5 long view of strip at lower stairs 900.jpg

The padding was some dense 1/4" double stick pad.
Lining up the lighter colored rows before stapling them was the most important part of the installation so it all looked straight.

Not having access to tack strip with tiny pins made me decide to do this. Worked out to be a very fun job with fantastic results. I wish I had better photos. I didn't know how bad the images turned out till over a week after the job was completed. :eek:

009_6carpet being laid into strip 900.jpg

011_8 lines in carpet need to be straight 900.jpg

013_10 fuzzy view of stairs and steps 900.jpg

Latest posts

Back