Why so few tacks in strip

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you steam the curve to it would be one piece? Getting the lines perfectly straight on those it always fun. looks nice

Did you steam the curve to it would be one piece? Getting the lines perfectly straight on those it always fun. looks nice
Now there ya go again........... steaming. I never thought of that. Bein in a rural area, I coulda set up the BBQ with a big kettle of water in their driveway. :rolleyes:

Keeping the lines straight ended up being easy. I ran blue tape along the bull nose piece, then used a pen to mark an even line 3/8" back from the edge. You can see that in the close ups.
I lined up the carpet with my line on the blue tape, then stay tacked the step in place every foot or so with sheetrock nails. Then I went back and curled the edge into the gully and tucked it in with my awl. Once it looked even, I added staples between the rows. I stretched width wise before doing any tucking. I used tackstrip along the riser side of the step and tapped any high pins down.

Originally, the customer wanted the carpet waterfalled over these curves. .....and they had already bought this carpet. ....and they were boxed with no nose :eek:
Told em the risers would look like crap because of the stripes. :cool:
....... so he said: "I can make a bullnose"
........ and I said: "youbetcha" :D

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?

Last edited:
Now there ya go again........... steaming. I never thought of that. Bein in a rural area, I coulda set up the BBQ with a big kettle of water in their driveway. :rolleyes:

Well good thing you didn't try. I doubt the ply would bend that way, you would have to turn it sideways and then fasteners wouldn't hold. You would or could have cut the radius out of a sheet of plywood though. :D

Well good thing you didn't try. I doubt the ply would bend that way, you would have to turn it sideways and then fasteners wouldn't hold. You would or could have cut the radius out of a sheet of plywood though. :D
I cut a curved branch out of a tree, ran it through a band saw and cut it into thin strips, then glued the pieces back together.
........yea, ......THAT's the ticket!

Excellent job! Your innovation did the trick!

Tia
I had plenty of time to figure out something new to try and the customer was in no hurry. They were appreciative of the process I used as I explained my concerns............ and they are both good cooks to. :D
Cool customers make this line of work worth doing.

Being it was November when I did the job. They even invited me to their Thanksgiving party.
I gracefully declined tho, as there were going to be 30 or 40 people there and just like them, I'd of had to dress in a period costume. 1800's isn't in my closet. :rolleyes:
If I was "into it" tho, the party would have been a hoot. Their Thanksgiving party is more like a Halloween party and they don't do it half way. I guess it's quite an event.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got kinda bored with the country club. Not my style, mixing with snoots and having my husband's ex-wife mixing our drinks. LOL!

Tia

Latest posts

Back