Wide Plank Hickory (winter acclimation trick??)

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad101

I have 500 sqft of 3/4" by 4" hand scrapped hickory. We heat our house with a wood stove and don't run the AC in the summer.

If I install right now (late winter), I'm going to have some serious issues come June/July....

What I want to do is mimic the summer humidity levels by running a 2000 sqfl pedestal humidifier for 10 days. In the same room where the wood is currently sitting. Then install a washer row every 3 rows to allow for any additional expansion.

Any thoughts on this?

I have 500 sqft of 3/4" by 4" hand scrapped hickory. We heat our house with a wood stove and don't run the AC in the summer.

If I install right now (late winter), I'm going to have some serious issues come June/July....

What I want to do is mimic the summer humidity levels by running a 2000 sqfl pedestal humidifier for 10 days. In the same room where the wood is currently sitting. Then install a washer row every 3 rows to allow for any additional expansion.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, if your running the humidifier now that essentially is mimicking the summer so no washers.

I guess I prefer to let the wood set for a week and install it, we're do you live, what part of the country?

I live in Erie, MI (south east Michigan, about 3/4 mile from lake Erie).

Going forward, I'll run the humidifier during dry weather. We never had one in the past. It makes the house feel allot warmer too.

Right now the RH is almost at 60%; w/ the humidifier running all night.

I'd shoot for the middle rh level of your zone during the year, not the highest or lowest.

Humidification does make it feel warmer. I cranked mine up a few weeks ago and felt the difference immediately.

I live up the road from you in Davison, at 60% humidity the windows would be steamed over and water running down the walls in my house. For hardwood there are certain parameters that have to be met in order to keep from getting the gaps or peaking at the joints. And also before installing it.

Daris

I'm in clarkston mi short jog to Davison, just let the wood set there for a few days in the house under normal conditions, it will be fine. Are you installing it?

I know that seems kinda high, the humidity sensor is showing 60% though.

Yea, I'm doing the install. I bought a nice Bostitch stapler with intention on installing hardwood throughout the house. I like to take my time, so it's cheaper to invest the $500 in a nice gun vs rent one. I'll spend an entire month on this project. This will be my 3rd room (two rooms left!)

When the house is finished, I'll have a very nice floor stapler for sale :)

Latest posts

Back