Wilsonart repair

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's from a fast connection.
Two holes_filtered 800.jpg
Large and small repairs complete_filtered.jpg

Attachments

• Small hole complete_filtered.jpg
    Small hole complete_filtered.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Small hole with clamps overhead_filtered.jpg
    Small hole with clamps overhead_filtered.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Lap joint ready 2_filtered.jpg
    Lap joint ready 2_filtered.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 140
That's a before, after and some images of the clamps I made to keep the repair pieces flush with the main floor as the glue set. Clamps are glued to the floor with clear hot glue.
The upside down shot is two sections with lap joints prior to gluing.

Anyhow this nerve racking nightmare is done and the customer and her friend keep calling me an artist. .....love that! ;)
I replace the pieces I stole from the closet by routing and splining the stair tread pieces she had.
Once complete, the only scrap left............... and I mean the only piece, was a 2 1/2 foot length of stair tread. sweatin'g bullets knowing beforehand there was no room for error.
...............another one bites the dust! :party:

Last edited:
From a wifi at the flooring store................. used drag and drop, same as I tried at home.
Probably 22 hours into those two spots.

........and I hope it holds up. :D
I came out with $800. She tossed in another $100 as a thank you. Hourly, it should have been over $1200, but I gave her a high/low estimate and kept my word.

The larger 11 by 26 inch repair had plywood and the plywood subfloor in place, so notso hard to begin this repair.
This smaller repair began as a hole in the floor.
There was a 5 1/2 inch wide beam about 5 inches directly under this void, so I glued 4 pieces of plywood as supports on top of that beam, then slipped these three sections of plywood under the floor to support the subfloor via the joist. I had to cut this plywood base into 3 pieces so that I could drop them into the hole and slide them sideways........ under the underlayment. It wouldn't go in in one piece or even two pieces. (those pieces were totally goobered up with urethane adhesive before inserting them)
Once that was done, I could build up the floor to the correct elevation, then start the repair.

Attachments

• Filling the void with plywood.jpg
    Filling the void with plywood.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Here's how I avoided two of the repair planks in the large repair. I knocked out a short plank and milled and fitted a longer piece. Once in place, I glued up one edge, then slid the plank into the glued joint.
Next, I glued up the opposite end of that same plank and tapped the joint together.
To tap the planks to and fro, I glued sections of plywood to the plank surfaces with hot glue, then tapped on the plywood to move the pieces.
Once complete, a soaking in rubbing alcohol releases the hot glue.
Hot glue is my bestest friend. :D

Attachments

• Large hole 2nd board removed 450.jpg
    Large hole 2nd board removed 450.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Large hole 2nd board replaced 400.jpg
    Large hole 2nd board replaced 400.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 156
Here are the last two sections of the large repair ready to be glued in. You can see the lap joint on the floor side.
Routing these sections perfectly square and parallel also results in rounded corners. The repair piece corners needed to be hand filed to match the rounded corners in the floor. I used a 1/2 inch socket to draw a round corner on the pieces and just kept filing 'til they fit. Didn't take all that long.

Attachments

• Large hole Last two ready to drop in 400.jpg
    Large hole Last two ready to drop in 400.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 111
Most important part of this was parallel and square. I glued boards to the floor with hot glue so I could route the dimensions. To make the lap joint, I changed from the 1/4" bit to a 3/4" bit and raised the router. Last thing I wanted was to re-locate my guide/template pieces.
Same approach was used on the large repair except I needed to be a lot more accurate with being square to the actual flooring planks.
Not sure why I allow myself to get into these odd situations. I don't want to do stuff like this, yet a little as on my shoulder keeps sayin' "I bet ya can't do it"
I hate that guy.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• Small hole with guides_filtered 400.jpg
    Small hole with guides_filtered 400.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 112
Great job. Ya got a library near you High? Ours have pc's you can use for free.

I loooove PCs. I HATE laptops and notebooks. Good for some things, but I don't like the keyboard attached to the screen. I just take my 14" HP notebook to the carpet store and use their wifi when I need to. Customer sent me some photos she took with here phone. They're sharper than mine. I'll try to get those on here tomorrow.

In the mean time, I loaded up images of the router lift I made last year on another website. I joined this router forum last year looking for ideas on how to build a table. ...I ain't got that far yet, but I did get my router lift made. I actually made this router lift so that I could do this laminate floor repair. Took almost a year to design and make.
One of my old internet aliases is ranman. I use it on this website.
https://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/17212-wanted-pictures-your-router-table-110.html

Latest posts

Back