Wood floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
In your own house, would you use engineered click-lock or prefinished nail down hardwood? Just consider I am 73 and have knee issues,
12 x16 room, how much extra for waste?
If nail down, use nails or staples?

Last edited:
I am 3 days away from laying nail down hardwood back into my house, so that is my vote.

In a rectangular room and a >5" board, I would allow 5% but I am stingy. If it is some Chinese thing with know shorts that I want to throw in the garbage then 10% is a great idea.

I feel like getting 10% over is a luxury anymore. 7% is the new number and 5% is damn tight but often times one can scrape by down to the last piece or two. Too tight in my book.

The rest of the house has 100 year old oak.
So that's a pretty big factor in what I would choose. I'm not against the glue down engineered over concrete but if you're on a wood substrate I'd prefer the solid oak. You really want to continue the look of what's already there to whatever extent that's possible.

If you're concerned about resale value certainly the solid oak or even engineered is going to be worth the "investment" as a premium floorcovering.

I doubt I will ever recommend "click" or floating floors unless there's a reason you cant glue or nail------like asbestos or other prohibitive factors regarding conditions/demo/time constraints/budget.

The old floor we are going to cover is heart pine. The condensation hose from the A/C leaked and ruined part of it. A hardwood guy wants $3400 to put another floor over it. We have to walk through that room to the kitchen and bath, so having it closed off for 3-4 days is not an option.

I will have no help. My wife can make the cuts but she can't get down on the floor. I figure I can put a click lock floor down in a day by myself. It will probably last as long as I do.

I will have no help. My wife can make the cuts but she can't get down on the floor. I figure I can put a click lock floor down in a day by myself. It will probably last as long as I do.

I wondered if doing nail down would beat you up too much. It makes my back hurt being half hunched over smacking the nailer. Click will be just fine. You know what you’re doing.

Latest posts

Back