Wood Science Question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a fill-in with Brazilian Koa (Tigerwood). Its the same product but of course the new is so much lighter than the old. Everyone involved is wondering if the color will always be playing catch-up? I have no definitive answers.

1-IMG_2776.jpg

You could lay them out in the sun, course that might dry them down to much. Other alternative is a UV lamp, like those old tanning lamps. That'll speed up the color quite fast.

The only solution i see is sanding the floor to bare wood and pulling a few coats . I don't see any time line where it would catch up .

I seen that turn tree shades darker just sitting in the sun for a day inside the house. UV lamp/s, no catch up.

FloorMaven said:
I've got a fill-in with Brazilian Koa (Tigerwood). Its the same product but of course the new is so much lighter than the old. Everyone involved is wondering if the color will always be playing catch-up? I have no definitive answers.

I know I'm a bit late on this one. I am not sure about this tiger wood , but the Brazilian cherry which tends to darken a lot too over time, will not keep on getting darker forever. I would say that after a year or two it won't get any darker. Prob same here

Did you end up doing the job? If so, what were the results?
Looking again, I just noticed the lighter color where the wood was covered by a cabinet or some base. It's a heck of a lot lighter. If the new wood has the same kind of finish, I'd think it would eventually blend in. No way the finish alone would darken the wood that much over time.

Did you end up doing the job? If so, what were the results?

I did the entire hall like I suggested. Unbeknownst to me, the decorator talked to the LL guy and he told them put the material outside and expose it to the sunlight and it will darken. They did and warped just about every board and didn't change the color one iota. Made it a bear to install though.

tigerwood-1.jpg

Tigerwood-2.jpg

Tigerwood-3.jpg

That was a good decision. The light boards in the big room look close enough to the light boards in the hall, so from the photo, it looks good right now.

They recently turned the kitchen island 90 degrees so they want me to come back and lace in. It's a PIA because this floor is glued on to an OSB underlayment that is shot intermittently into a hard, on grade concrete slab with no vapor barrier. It's a mess in a dress for sure.

Latest posts

Back