Wool against Synthetic Carpets

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all honesty, putting nylon anything anywhere is a terrible idea. All synthetic, petrol based plastic is the devil.

They are not wrong, that is for sure.

Let's try this again. Are there enough sheep on the planet to make all carpets out of wool?
I'm guessing not? So if we add 600 million sheep to the world does that not increase greenhouse gases? I assume they poop and fart too.
I think this is one of those issues that's basically, "you can't get there from here"
To make wool carpet affordable, you would have to increase efficiency of sheep shearing by having large corporations with some kind of fancy computerized sheering machinery to reduce the price to a point where the average person could afford to have carpeting in their house.
You might also have to grow sheep in pens like they do chickens to increase efficiency.
Again, you can't get there from here.

So it wasn't that long ago that nylon carpets didn't exist so I would have to argue the basic premise of your summary. The first carpet factory was built in the 1600's and nylon wasn't introduced to the world until 1935 so I'm thinking we could manage.
Plus thanks to vinyl plank, no one installs carpet anymore :)

we had plenty of sheep here
Sheep farming is a significant industry in New Zealand. ... For 130 years, sheep farming was the country's most important agricultural industry, but it was overtaken by dairy farming in 1987. Sheep numbers peaked in New Zealand in 1982 to 70 million and then dropped to about 27.6 million.
And we have only about 3 million people here so therefore all the sheep jokes :)

So it wasn't that long ago that nylon carpets didn't exist so I would have to argue the basic premise of your summary. The first carpet factory was built in the 1600's and nylon wasn't introduced to the world until 1935 so I'm thinking we could manage.
Plus thanks to vinyl plank, no one installs carpet anymore :)
So basically you're telling me not to go to work today. Can I get your phone number? The lady I was working for yesterday would like to know why I'm not showing up today and I figured you could tell her. 😁

And what happens to the old synthetic carpets?
Fills the land fill sites to create a large problem in the future?
They don't reuse wool do they?
It goes straight to the landfill too.
They could roll up the used carpet with rocks inside each roll and dump them in the ocean to make reefs for marine life. 😱

Synthetics will be in their present condition for another thousand years...... Under the ground.
Nobody's ever going to dig up a dump. It's just going to be a dump forever no matter what type of carpet is in there. We could also go back to jute carpet and cotton carpet.
Same thing with pad. Do we make pad from jute and horse hair? 'taint going to happen.
It would be fantastic if there was a way to recycle carpet padding, even if it was just the leftover scraps from brand new padding. Most places would probably have to ship their carpet pad or trucks are carpet pad 2,000 miles to a place that was able to make a profit recycling the pad.
Once again, recycling pad is one of those, you can't get there from here scenarios.
The populations in the world at local levels are so far away from any type of recycling facility that it cost more to truck the stuff to the recycler than it's worth.
It is what it is. Be nice if everything we could use was recyclable or biodegradable but they're just too many limits.

You have a big country so you have plenty of places for dumps. We are only a fraction of your size and nobody wants a dump in their area :)
There was some company here who was picking up the old pad but I think that has gone out the door as I havent seen anybody stuffing it into bags for a long time Not worth the hassle for the dollar return?

You have a big country so you have plenty of places for dumps. We are only a fraction of your size and nobody wants a dump in their area :)
There was some company here who was picking up the old pad but I think that has gone out the door as I havent seen anybody stuffing it into bags for a long time Not worth the hassle for the dollar return?
Sorry, Jon, my comment wasn't really intended for you personally. You definitely have a limited space so New Zealand or any other island nation needs to be in some way, using better products for recycling. It's all about cost. $$$$$$

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back