Wool carpet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarisMulkin

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
a friend of mine started a wool job today that amounts to over $40,000 just for the carpet and installation. They rolled out the first piece and looked at one another blaming each other that they had sit their pant. The one guy said that is the carpet. Upon closer look he said it looks like dirt is in it. I told him you got to pay big bucks to buy carpet that smells like sheep shit.

I don't miss installing wool. Hated that stuff. Saw some at some houses at the country club, had all the yarn worn off. Nothing left but the backing. I was shocked at how crappy those houses were. One had ceramic tile broken up in the bathroom floor. They hired me to loose lay some old kitchen carpet over the broken tile.

That ain’t right. Maybe it was left out in the rain? Wet sheep don’t smell too good…😜

I installed a lot of high end wools over the years. I always liked the smell compared to synthetics…😎

I do probably do 30% of my work is wool. Installers here hate wool but they don't know what their missing. Some have jute backing and it is so easy on blades.
Then there is the face to face Wilton that's as stiff as a roll up bamboo shade.
......I do know what I'm missing. 😁

Is wool an expensive and rare option in the usa?

In the UK we fit wools all the time, prices range from about $20sqy upwards, dont find it particularly hard to install, they warm up nice usually and go real soft and stretchy. Prep needs to be on point if theyre a fine pile but my preps always on point so no diference to me 😁

In the UK we fit wools all the time, prices range from about $20sqy upwards, dont find it particularly hard to install, they warm up nice usually and go real soft and stretchy. Prep needs to be on point if theyre a fine pile but my preps always on point so no diference to me 😁
Being across the pond from you our products are different than yours, speaking the difference between English axminster compared to American. Our Ax is more stiffer than yours. I got the chance years ago to lay some of your axminster and it was a dream, softer and would even stretch some in the width. Ours if it a 1/4 inch short you are going to add a piece on in the width.

Being across the pond from you our products are different than yours, speaking the difference between English axminster compared to American. Our Ax is more stiffer than yours. I got the chance years ago to lay some of your axminster and it was a dream, softer and would even stretch some in the width. Ours if it a 1/4 inch short you are going to add a piece on in the width.
Tell me that was a typo and you really meant 1/16" short. 😁

I'm hoping $20 is just the installation cost. 😱

I'm hoping $20 is just the installation cost. 😱
That was just for the product. Install prices vary in the uk but im on about $7sqy as a subcontractor for carpets(which is more the top end), our wools are more or less the same to fit as a polypropylene twist. Will be interesting to fit some stuff in the usa one day to see the diferences

Latest posts

Back