Yeah, it's "waterproof"

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Coretec is waterproof, but........
...just because it doesn't rot, doesn't mean water or moisture won't ruin it.
I know the product has been down over 5 years. Maybe gets an hour of low sunlight during certain times of the year. By the time sunlight might shine on it, it then disappears behind a hill.
The floor is rag mopped nightly and hour before closing.
It's wearing extremely well. The cupping, is an issue I've seen many times, but this one is bad.

Attachments

• PXL_20230403_013425735.jpg
    PXL_20230403_013425735.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230403_013616283.jpg
    PXL_20230403_013616283.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Coretec is waterproof, but........
...just because it doesn't rot, doesn't mean water or moisture won't ruin it.
I know the product has been down over 5 years. Maybe gets an hour of low sunlight during certain times of the year. By the time sunlight might shine on it, it then disappears behind a hill.
The floor is rag mopped nightly and hour before closing.
It's wearing extremely well. The cupping, is an issue I've seen many times, but this one is bad.

Wpc floors have wood in the mix. They’ll cup just like any wood products. There’s clearly no moisture barrier under that.

I strictly use spc because of that issue. It’s got stone instead of the wood. Not as soft under foot but a good trade off

Wpc floors have wood in the mix. They’ll cup just like any wood products. There’s clearly no moisture barrier under that.

I strictly use spc because of that issue. It’s got stone instead of the wood. Not as soft under foot but a good trade off
Ok, .......SPC, the stuff cortec manufactured when they tried to bankrupt themselves?

That’s what I don’t get, vapor barrier is dirt cheap.
The floor is mopped nightly with a string mop. That ain't helping anything.
.....excuse me, swabbed with a string mop. 😉
The small convenience store is only a couple feet above high tide level and there's a slough, immediately behind the store and the the parking lot. There is a 4-ft tall berm that runs along the back side of the store and the parking lot. It's actually an old dike built by the corps of engineers 75 years ago.
Just saying the concrete is not very far above a king tide. About 20 years ago it actually flooded because of high tide and some rain run off. That was long before the cortec was installed.
😉

Last edited:
Ok, .......SPC, the stuff cortec manufactured when they tried to bankrupt themselves?
Not sure what you’re getting at with that comment?
But yeah, that stuff that cor-tec tried to bankrupt themselves with. It’s better than wpc………

Not sure what you’re getting at with that comment?
But yeah, that stuff that cor-tec tried to bankrupt themselves with. It’s better than wpc………
We had replacement after replacement with cortec Stone. They kept saying they'd fix the problem but then the problems continued. They were separating and the joints would break because it's so rigid and brittle.
It was so bad nobody around here even wanted to touch the material.
Eventually they again said the problem was fixed. I haven't heard anything bad about it since then but I also haven't seen any of it sold.
I was just curious if that's the type of product you're describing

We had replacement after replacement with cortec Stone. They kept saying they'd fix the problem but then the problems continued. They were separating and the joints would break because it's so rigid and brittle.
It was so bad nobody around here even wanted to touch the material.
Eventually they again said the problem was fixed. I haven't heard anything bad about it since then but I also haven't seen any of it sold.
I was just curious if that's the type of product you're describing
I’m curious if the issue was regional? I do a ton of cor-tec spc over the years and not one issue with the stuff. That’s actually one of two brands I recommend to people when asked.

So did they stand behind it and take care of you? I’ve never filed a claim with them.

It was through a Carpet One locally and yes Cortec replaced the materials. I live in Oregon, on the coast. One of our forum locals done lives in New York and he complained about the products also. The product was convex which increased the flex on the product and also put a tiny angle on the locking edge making it less efficient. The tiles literally started moving apart and gapping.
The product was replaced with "newer" product and supposedly they fix the problem. It happened again. The locking mechanisms chipped or broke easily, it was just a pain in the butt to work with.
They finally said they had fixed the issues and though I believe there are no longer problems with the product, I never buy it nor advise it to anyone.
I've never installed any of this material I don't do much installation anymore.
On the first product failure I was sent to look at the problem. The material was separating in different areas and there was no logic as to why. Some new material was ordered to replace the damaged areas but a couple months later what I want down to do the repair I discovered the floor was separating in other points in the house.
Anyway once you have issues like this on a product they can fix it all they want but nobody's ever going to be confident again at least nobody that's dealt with the initial issues.

Latest posts

Back