Cork Over Concrete under Tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
I fielded a call about this method today but without the heating element. I asked why he wanted cork under it....for insulation or what. He responded he wanted the tile to have a softer feel. :confused:

I said no! And no, you cannot make tile feel soft simply by putting cork under it. Maybe it's just me or lack of experience with this method but it looks just a little to iffy to me.

http://www.warmyourfloor.com/corkin...br-value31perinch14thick48widesoldbysqft.aspx

Anyone do cork under tile over concrete with this product or other cork products? Sounds scary.

Last edited:
No , but i just did a inspection not long ago .
double gluedown under wood that was coming up .
The glue for the cork looked like a water base product . :eek:

I worked on the 4 Seasons Hotel in Westlake, CA. They put cork under all the ceramic and stone above grade but only for soundproofing. Other then that I've never seen cork used as underlayment.

It's hard to understand how ignorant/confused you'd have to be to think a cork underlayment would make a ceramic tile feel soft underfoot.

Agree with both of you. I have never seen one done out here. Could be some but looks like more reasons for it to fail.

@ Incognito, was that above grade on wood or concrete? I just don't see thinset sticking to cork that good. Maybe it does, who knows but thats stepping outa my comfort zone there.

Latest posts

Back