Advice on partial parquet restoration

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxp

I have an old parquet bedroom floor that hasn't been touched, I guess in over 60 years when the house was built. Its in surprisingly good shape covered by a large area rug, but the entrance way to the room and uncovered floor boarder is stained and worn with the finish gone. I was thinking of just doing the boarder and entrance to an acceptable restoration since its always had an area rug and the covered floor is in great shape. I'm not overly concerned with a slight color match issue. I'd like any advice if this makes sense and how to go at it? Really not looking to make it into a big DIY project if I can avoid it. Thanks for the help.

Added snapshot of floor by door entrance to give you a better idea of the project.

2014-10-13 11.21.48-1.jpg

The images are a good idea of how the floor looks. What I'm really interested would it be okay to just sand and finish the boarder about a foot around since its going to get an area rug to cover most of the floor or is this a dumb idea? Thanks for looking at the project for me.

HPIM0631.jpg

HPIM0632.jpg

HPIM0634.jpg

I couldn't do just the border. It'd eventually drive me crazy.

The only reasons I can see that you wouldn't do just the border is if you change your mind later about the rug, decide to sell, or you're OC like me. Otherwise, have at it!

I agree with Dennis T. You already got the mess why not finish it all. Who knows you may like the finished floor better than the rug and just use it. And I'm a custom rug maker, I can't believe I'm giving that advice.
Finish the whole floor I don't think ou will be sorry that you did.

Daris

Yeah, it's really foolish to get all geared up with the equipment and supplies you need to do this work and then only doing the border. That's a really nice floor. It's worth the investment to bring back the original quality.

If you're on a really tight budget you might consider just a screen and recoat. I can't tell for certain from the pictures if that's going to be satisfactory or if you really need to sand and refinish. Doesn't really cost anything to get a few estimates and some contractors will even give you free advice------like whether a recoat will suffice.

Pictures can be misleading, but I suspect the majority of the work will be in the worn areas and borders. Hitting the middle will likely have little effect on the total time involved.

Latest posts

Back