California water year.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Like Oregon, Washington, Utah, New Mexico , Colorado, Arizona, and Idaho, we are all overloaded with water....... Kinda sucks, but it makes for a good summer and no water level worries. Winter isn't over yet.
Here's something to remember when you read about the California drought. They the news tosses out scare headlines and global warming misinformation, keep in mind this news article. Extended periods of drought are common in California.. not a recent phenomenon (caused by man)

http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/01/25/california-drought-past-dry-periods-have-lasted-more-than-200-years-scientists-say/

In the article, one thing really hit me............. Is there really a water shortage? It says agriculture makes up 3% of California's economy, yet 80% of the water use is by agriculture. :eek: That just seems odd. Growing food and wine in the desert with borrowed water just seems crazy. Why not grow food and wine in a place that has a lot of water...... like Oregon.
O wait, we do. :D

Last edited:
The climate in Oregon can not grow anything, except clouds and rain. Speaking of, has anyone ever had a good glass of wine from Oregon? I haven't. To make wine, you need sun.
The coast is cool and the rest of the state is sunny and warm all summer long. Oregon inland valley areas are about 5 degrees colder than Napa valley. You plant grapes that grow best in a particular location's climate. Oregon is great for grapes........... if you're into that sorta thing. Hops make for tastier beverages anyway. :D
We're on a list too. :D
https://matadornetwork.com/trips/15-epic-wine-regions-to-visit-before-you-die/

Speaking of wine, you will find that 2013 was one of the best bottling years for wine. It was also the driest year in several years. Problem is, was the grapes in a 2013 bottle of wine grown in 2012? That I don't know.

We also went on a cruise recently. We took a few winery tours in Mexico, and I am here to say that their wine really sucks. I know that location is closer to the equator, so it appears it is climate + rainfall + dew point = good wine?

To twist things up, Austin gave me a bottle of wine made in Texas. That stuff was outstanding.

I've had some NZ wines and they can be terrific.

This guy is married to one of my cousins and lives about 20 minutes away from me. If I go there he tries to give us wine, as you can imagine how many bottles he gets to sample, but we don't drink wine
His book is even exported to the States
Try this
http://michaelcooper.co.nz/

Last edited:
Jon, what is NZ$45 in American dollars?

hav that would equal $32.34 of your money
Its funny sometimes one can buy our NZ made products like cheese, butter, meat etc overseas cheaper than we can buy it here even though its shipped half way around the world
Also I have a lot of NZ dollars which I can swap with you one NZ dollar to your one US dollar if you like :D

Latest posts

Back