Finishing Carpet at Ten foot wide archway

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Specifics: Rental unit, Lr, Dr area, over oak plank flooring , using soft back plush carpet. The last installation we turned and tacked at the 10’ wide archway that leads into a family room.

The dilemma / over thinking 🤪 is about making the archway finish , a more installation friendly method. Option #1: Coventry tap down metal ? Opt # 2: Tackless rubber or vinyl reducer, color brown ( same as carpet and wood stain) This reducer comes with a raised profile that the tackless butts up to, then cut/tuck into the 3/8” lip. Opt.# 3 ( not my favorite method ) “Z” bar ( invented by our member Z 😜 ) because the brothers have
plenty of stock.

I’m trying to avoid using the staple gun, as with T/T or bind to the edge and tack or tack and install flat metal.

What say you ? Thx !

I'd avoid the transitions with any of the alternatives you listed before using metal or plastic strips.

Comprehension was never my strong suit 😞 Could you try that again, I’m a little confused.

I wandered around my brothers garage and found some 1/4” x 2.25” x 10’ long stained pine board ( probably door trim or chair rail molding) that could maybe be used as a baby threshold 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wandered around my brothers garage and found some 1/4” x 2.25” x 10’ long stained pine board ( probably door trim or chair rail molding) that could maybe be used as a baby threshold 🤷🏻‍♂️

Metal looks cheesy but it’s the standard go to for a reason, it’s quick, easy and will hold up in a rental situation.

You’re thinkin about how you can improve the situation. I like that. That piece of stained pine might not be a bad idea. It’s gotta look a lot nicer than a cheesy ol piece of metal but does it match the floor or will it look just as out of place as a piece of metal but it’s not metal? How about a piece of metal that looks better than gold or silver? That’s gotta look better and is still rental unit tough.

I would ask your supply shop if they have any clamp down in dark bronze. Special ordering something certainly wouldn’t be worth it but…

https://metaltransitions.com/product/tap-down-carpet-trim-5-8/

Z bar is my go to when I have to touch the fuzzy stuff. Can’t beat the smooth transition. I’m not a fan of transition strips.

The brothers have stock of the darker tap down metal, it’s called Coventry.

Thanks for running that idea around your
Experienced think tank cj

A quick googles shows that you are indeed correct😂. I’m kinda proud of myself for not touching the fuzzy stuff for long enough that those kind of cookies have been deleted from the ol brain browser.

Comprehension was never my strong suit 😞 Could you try that again, I’m a little confused.

My last choices are generally plastic or metal transitions. So, as there's a handful of alternatives I'd rank them from best to worst. Labor and material costs are almost always considerations for the customer and the contractors. As an employee I'm happy to do anything they agree to. One thing I hated more than anything else was replacing or redoing transitions after the fact. It's never fun and easy.

Thanks Incog, Yes, plastic + metal are less pleasing to the eye, but in this rentals case, I’m more concerned about the ease of Carpet replacement and a method strong enough to hold the 30’ long soft back stretch.

Coventry flat metal won out this time.

Attachments

• 66ED233B-D182-4A7C-899E-19387951D3A0.jpeg
    66ED233B-D182-4A7C-899E-19387951D3A0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 084C8935-37EC-441E-B71F-88E13CEF884D.jpeg
    084C8935-37EC-441E-B71F-88E13CEF884D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I missed out on all this and just arrived just on time to see the results.
Looks great. I arrived to the chat at just the right time. 😁

The stairs lead to nowhere and I only had enough carpet to cap the bullnose, but it could have been an opportunity to finally attempt a sewn bullnose.

Check out the old waffle rubber pad that’s laminated to the oak forever and ever. Hey Daris ! Notice the back nosing. That probably makes it extra difficult to fit properly ? Have you ever run into that situation ?

Attachments

• 4A09281E-529D-409F-99C3-1F8F688298FF.jpeg
    4A09281E-529D-409F-99C3-1F8F688298FF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Daris, I have always had mine as an IV drip and this was a push. How do you get yours?

My arthritis pain is 15.

The stairs lead to nowhere and I only had enough carpet to cap the bullnose, but it could have been an opportunity to finally attempt a sewn bullnose.

Check out the old waffle rubber pad that’s laminated to the oak forever and ever. Hey Daris ! Notice the back nosing. That probably makes it extra difficult to fit properly ? Have you ever run into that situation ?

Latest posts

Back