Fires in Oregon

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
For the past week the smoke in the air locally has gotten a bit annoying and doesn't appear as if it's going to get better anytime soon. The smoke is coming from a fire east of Brookings, Oregon which is 120 miles south of me.
In my previous mention of the Chetco Bar Fire fire 10 days ago, it's increased in size from 170 square miles to 280 square miles... containment date is "forcast" to be October 15th. ...at 6PM. :D
The fire started in July. With the heavy smoke lingering locally and getting worse during the week, today is the first I really noticed some breathing issues. Not bad, just a little discomfort and a tiny bit of a sore throat. I can't imagine living 100 miles south of me .......where the fire is located.
In the following article, there's a map of the fire.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2017/09/05/chetco-bar-fire-oregon-evacuation-brookings-illinois-valley-selma-cave-junction-grants-pass/634384001/

2017_09_04-11.30.02.555-CDT.jpeg

Along the coast you see two cities, Gold Beach at the upper left and Brookings at the lower left. Those cites are almost 30 miles apart......... that gives a good gauge of the fire's size.
I guess on the bright side, it's cool to see a sunrise looking like a dark orange luminous pumpkin. I suppose next years fire season won't be as bad............ not much left to burn down there.:confused:
Sunsets have been almost non existent because the sun disappears into the smoke.

Lots of fires going in the state right now and road closures and evacuation notices in some areas.
I just saw on the news a few minutes ago that some kids were lighting fireworks and tossing them off of a hiking trail up in the mountains............ yes it started another forest fire. Need to send those kids to North Korea for punishment. :shooting:
Kids today are idiots.
About 25 fires in the state right now.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/state/38/

Makes me happy I'm a flooring installer instead of a fire fighter. I watched them work close up one afternoon. This was my first time traveling from the coast inland over the mountains to interstate 5........... 25 years ago I suppose. I parked near the river and the fire had started on the opposite bank early that morning. I watched the helicopters drop to the river to refill their plastic bladders, and watched the tanker planes fly close by overhead and drop their red colored load of fire retardant.
There were firefighters with back packs on slowly walking up a steep bank in a slow zig-zag pattern from river level up into the still smoldering grass and trees. 1/2 hour after I got there, the top 20 foot section of a dead tree (still smoldering) broke off, fell onto the trail where the fire fighters were walking just minutes ago, then it rolled down towards the river. :eek:
It was close to 100 degrees about noon as I was watching. I ought to try to find the photos I took. I just can't imagine doing that kind of work. Those are some tough brave people. I think there's close to 1700 people working this fire.

Last edited:
We got some rain around noon today......... large rain drops hitting the ground 2 feet apart. It continued for 10 minutes straight until the road got 100% damp ..........for 15 minutes, then it evaporated. Tonight it got my plastic lawn chair 60% wet then it evaporated. A few T-boomers For 50 miles straight east is forest land, so last thing we need here is lightening. We have been lucky over the years from not having forest fires............... I honestly can't recall a large fire locally and I've lived here all of my 59.92876212328 years.
...not that I'm counting. :D
We don't have fires here because the temperatures don't get all that hot to dry out the forest as much as it does farther inland and away from the coastal environment. The humidity here is a lot higher than south east of me where that fire is located. We don't get much lightning in the summer either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back