How to fix water stains?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojokorn

Hello,

Some water leaked from a 5 gallon bottle onto my floor. We didn't catch it until 3-7 days later and it left white marks that can not be buffed out with steel wool. Is there an easy way to fix this without refinishing the floor?

BTW, I think the floor is laquer not poly.

floor.jpg

Be careful if it is laquer . Started many a fire sanding Lanes when they used laquer back in the day .

Any ideas on how to fix it? Other than refinishing.

you will mostly likely need to at least SCREEN AND RECOAT which is a much less involved process than refinishing

screening takes light scratches and stains off the surface of the FINISH-----you're not screening down to bare wood, only scuffing the finish to apply more coats

screening and recoats should be done on a routine to protect hardwood floors

the frequency and intensity of the "maintenance coating" work depends on the sort of traffic it's handling

you're going to need an expert to come look at it in person to see if you can get off cheap(er)

Usually over lacquer, they would apply paste wax. That would explain why it turned white. I would try a small amount of paste wax for floors with 0000 steel wool. Should take care of it

Latest posts

Back