Laptop power up issues

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
Hey Nick. Had a Dell Inspiron 1526 given to me recently. When you plug it in, the blue power light comes on and I can hear a fan come on briefly and shut off. That's it, nothing but a black screen, with the battery in or out. I tried unplugging it, then hold down the power button on for several minutes, then plugging the power back in and no change. Then I checked the power supply. It's says 19.5 volts on the back of the PS, and when I checked it, I only got 18.51. The green light on the PS is on always. Would that little bit of voltage drop cause my problem?

PS. The power connector to the laptop seems like a decent fit. Is it a big task to get to the power port inside the unit to see if full voltage is making it through the port?

We'll get to this after turkey day and a round of golf. :)

A couple culprits I found that might be causing this. Either the CMOS battery, or worst case scenario, the mother board. Apparently, this model is notorious for the mother board. I watched the video on replacing the battery and it's basically taking the machine completely apart to get to a $2 battery. Hard to believe they'd have a battery in such a PITA place.:rolleyes:

A couple culprits I found that might be causing this. Either the CMOS battery, or worst case scenario, the mother board. Apparently, this model is notorious for the mother board. I watched the video on replacing the battery and it's basically taking the machine completely apart to get to a $2 battery. Hard to believe they'd have a battery in such a PITA place.:rolleyes:

Yes, those Inspirons had a lot of mother board failures. I have three of them with bad mother boards.

Latest posts

Back