Need help with flooring in Ecuador

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarickey

I live in Ecuador and many of the products that are commonly used are not available here. The problem is the concrete slab is relatively level but very uneven with numerous shallow indentations and holes. It looks like I will not be able to get a leveling compound here and the locals don't bother to flatten the slab and all of the laminate flooring looks terrible with the seams popping loose. Also, the only laminate flooring here is Chinese made and sold as made in Germany (Hardutch and German Technology). I can get plywood here that is most likely made from wood from the rain forest. Can I lay the plywood down and screw it directly to the cement slab with poly sheeting between the cement and the plywood. Or what would be the best way with the materials that I have to work with. The area is only about 9x12 and the walls are all about 5 inches out of square. Sorry for the long post but this really requires expert outside the box advice because it is not a typical install.
Thank you in advance.

Can you get concrete glue -----something like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SikaLate...hesive-and-Acrylic-Fortifier-187782/202521398

It's bascially Elmer's Glue. You COULD actually just use Elmer's Glue. It's latex, dontcha know.

So dilute that to the consistency of MILK and then mix it with Portland cement and you have your premium, latex fortified underlayment.

Trowel it, let it dry, sand it, skim coat it till the slab is as smooth as a baby's ass

If there are any seriously DEEP fills you can add silica sand to the mixture.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Probably not in quantities above a few ounces at a time. Can I just mix up enough to fill only the holes and depressions to flatten out the slab?

Probably not in quantities above a few ounces at a time. Can I just mix up enough to fill only the holes and depressions to flatten out the slab?

You NEED a cementitious, latex fortified underlayment to make that slab right.

I just gave you the ingredients for a home made batch.

I guarantee you COULD find those ingredients. You just won't find them pre assembled in a bucket or bag ready to add water. You're on your own now.

I can't get it here. I am extremely restricted in what I can buy. The professional installers don't level the cement here and the floors sink when you step into one of holes. All I am able to find even in the larger home stores is cement, mortar and mastic or latex paint if that might work. I can get 3/4" furniture grade plywood made of tropical wood it's about $40.00 a sheet. I forgot to mention that I am up in the mountains and the humidity is average and stable. I have not been able to find and cement glues and if I ask for advice they will try to sell me anything they have on hand like mortar. I can't use standard methods here and the holes in the floor are about 3/8" deep and 3-4" in diameter. I broke the leg off of a desk chair rolling over one of them. I cannot use standard flooring procedures here.

Sorry I am having trouble replying. I cannot get self leveling compound or latex binders for cement. I am extremely restricted as to the products available to me here. I did find a product called piso nivel (floor level) by Sika, which appears to be far thicker than what I have seen on internet videos. The price is $5.00 per 40 kilo bag and the picture on the bag shows a guy working the cement in a form with a 2x4.

Sorry I am having trouble replying. I cannot get self leveling compound or latex binders for cement. I am extremely restricted as to the products available to me here. I did find a product called piso nivel (floor level) by Sika, which appears to be far thicker than what I have seen on internet videos. The price is $5.00 per 40 kilo bag and the picture on the bag shows a guy working the cement in a form with a 2x4.

That is good stuff!

Latest posts

Back