problem printer

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodo

hey guys! how are you doing?

I have a problem with my printer, hoping for a little help

tech stuff first
hp pavioion, 8.1 desk top 64bit
hp deskjet 3000 printer j310 series

tale of woe.
i installed the driver went thru the steps till i reached where it says to plug in printer, i plugged in printer. then no more prompts. nothing
http://screencast.com/t/467QkNLcVxrb

then i went to the control panel devices/properties
and it printed a test.

now when this window opens it will not print, i get a device error

http://screencast.com/t/JscEh3pE

when this window opens it will print

http://screencast.com/t/xieqXjzL

but, it seems the screen it will not print is the default. I think

help guys, i am computer stupid

i know how to paste nasty pictures and ck emails, LOL

after all that running around, I think I fixed it myself...i looked at the 2 pages. one said E-print. so I deleted E-print and the other Icon got scared, fell into line.
I guess,
hey,,THANKS for listening to my BS, I apreciate the thought. Havasa from the other site says you guys are ok!!!!

I really dont do floors. I'm a plumber, I spill glue on your new floors:D

If you have need of a plumber holler for Frodo

Last edited:
Did you read the pm's I sent you ?

Printer in error state indicates that you can not reach the printer. Check that the printer is installed correctly. Check that the firewall is not blocking access. Check that the path to the printer is defined correctly. If it is a remote printer accessed through another computer chances are that the path definition is wrong.

yes i did, I think the eprinter could not reach the printer cause wifi is not on
its ether cable from a modum

when i got rid of the wifi path it worked....for now...

dont know, its working,,time will tell

Your description mentioned "plugging it in" which tells me that you went with USB as the other two (network) installations don't make use of installing and plugging in a cable.

But you then mentioned wanting to use Wi-Fi.

Let me assume that you used the USB to set it up, but you want to use Wi-Fi. If that's the case, here's what you have to do...

1) Disconnect the USB cable from the printer.
2) Use the front panel controls (I prsume they exist, I haven't looked on the web for that printer, but just about all of them have some sort of LCD control screen and buttons) and find the network setup, and the Wi-Fi within that.
3) Set the thing up with an IP address. If you can get a DOS command window on the PC you can run IPCONFIG /ALL and determine the IP address of the PC. Let's say it shows the IPv4 address of 192.168.1.4 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 The 192.168.1. is your "subnet" and the router/Wi-Fi access point has the address of 192.168.1.1 and manages a DHCP pool starting at 192.168.1.2 and probably runs to 192.168.1.50 or so. If the PC is 192.168.1.100 then the pool is probably 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149 - the default pool usually has 50 addresses.
4) Manually assign an IP address OUTSIDE of the pool. (This is preferred, but not abaolutely necesary. It can just prevent possible future conflicts.) The subnet mask should be the same as on the PC, i.e. 255.255.255.0 Identify the Wi-Fi network name and select security protocol (WPA-PSK2 etc.) and give it the pass phrase. The printer should now be 'visible' to devices on the network.
5) Now we have to tell the PC about it. Get to the PROPERTIES panel for the printer. Note that since WIndows 7 there have been TWO "Properties" items in the right-click drop down. You want the one that brings up a multi-tabled panel, the second one should be PORTS. Select PORTS.
6) THe printer currently is probably showing a USB port. Click NEW PORT
7) The new port wizard should start. You want a LOCAL port (counter-intuitive!) but you want a "Standard TCP/IP port rather than something in the upper drop-down list such as LPT1 or COM1 etc.
8) Select Standard TCP/IP port. Generic interface is fine. Give it a name - convention is IP underscore and then the IP address including dots. Enter the IP address etc.
9) The new port should now be assigned to the printer.
10) Get back into the properties page and this time find the "Print Test Page". You should get the test page. You should NOT need to reinstall drivers etc.
11) A side benefit of this is that you don't need to install or keep many of the HP utilities that show you ink levels etc. Just use your web browser and point it to the IP address and you should get a nice browser-based control panel. If you bookmark the thing or copy/paste the IP address into a shortcut it will work too. Let me know how you make out .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back