Underlayment Options for Bamboo Over Wood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJAllen

I will be installing a strand Bamboo floor over a wood substrate. It will be a nail-down installation with tongue and groove boards.

This is on the first floor over a crawl-space, so sound deadening is not an issue, but moisture from under the house may be.

The floor is flat, but not perfect as it had carpet installed previously and there was a wall that has been removed.

What should I do for underlayment? Don't want to spend money unnecessarily, but want it to be right. Do I need more than felt-paper since the floor is not perfectly flat?

Thank you all. I am replacing some of the subfloor to get it within manufacturers recommendations and going simply with a vapor barrier.

Have you determined which nailer you're going to use? Strand is really hard and dense. Too big of a gauge and you'll split the tongues off. I installed a few 100 sqft of strandwoven timber. The same as bamboo but made from wood fiber scraps. I ended up renting a Primatech 550 (18GA cleats) and it worked really well.

Latest posts

Back