Adding epoxy to wood filler?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iskjervem

Hi all,

Kind of crazy question here. I’m a DIY-er but have some experience laying floor in a past life. I’ve laid white oak utility grade floors through a small cabin, but in 3 different sections (currently completing section 3). On the first two sections I used west systems epoxy with a bit of black ink for the knotholes and then wood wise full trowel filler for any gaps in seams. With the wood wise, inevitably the filler pops out over time, particularly if you use it in a high traffic area in a larger seam, which brings me to my question.

Does anyone have any experience adding west systems epoxy/hardener to water based wood wise wood flour as a strengthener? I’m a little concerned about uncontrolled cure, but otherwise feel like maybe this is a good solution to prevent the filler from popping.

Thanks

Hi all,

Kind of crazy question here. I’m a DIY-er but have some experience laying floor in a past life. I’ve laid white oak utility grade floors through a small cabin, but in 3 different sections (currently completing section 3). On the first two sections I used west systems epoxy with a bit of black ink for the knotholes and then wood wise full trowel filler for any gaps in seams. With the wood wise, inevitably the filler pops out over time, particularly if you use it in a high traffic area in a larger seam, which brings me to my question.

Does anyone have any experience adding west systems epoxy/hardener to water based wood wise wood flour as a strengthener? I’m a little concerned about uncontrolled cure, but otherwise feel like maybe this is a good solution to prevent the filler from popping.

Thanks

Only one way to find out. Post some pics when you’re done.

I would tend to agree, epoxy and water does not sound like a good mix. I would set up a few mock boards somewhere and mix up a small test batch, see what happens.

And maybe I’m missing something here but why mix the two? Can you just use the epoxy with a lighter tint to match the wood or no tint at all?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back