Adhesives link

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Was looking into info on contact cement and came across info on adhesives. Started out simple, describing different adhesives and their uses, then I looked deeper. A bit deeper than I really need. :D
http://www.adhesives.org/adhesives-sealants/science-of-adhesion/wetting

On this page, I found this tid bit, a bit interesting.

Solids can also be irreversibly deformed if they are subjected to sufficiently large forces – and in that case they also flow.

In addition to the force, the time factor must also be taken into account here. The following example will demonstrate this relationship: The glass in the famous windows of Chartres Cathedral in France has “flowed” since these windows were made more than 600 years ago. In the Middle Ages, the glass panes that were fitted were equally thick at the top and bottom edges. However, over the course of time the silicates have flowed downwards under gravity to such an extent that the thickness of the individual panes of glass at the top has become wafer thin. At the bottom, the thickness of the glass has almost doubled. Solid glass can therefore be considered a fluid – but one must wait a long time to see it flow!

I know glass is considered a liquid, but never saw an example like this.
......this demonstrates that some day, the glass tiles in your shower will eventually go down the drain. :D

Latest posts

Back