Automated Tile Machines

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAC

Just wondering what thoughts are out there for the use and development of machines for installation.

TAC::eek:

You don't say what kind of tile, Vct or ceramic? But an installer has to think on his feet with whatever may come up. I don't think it would be to feasible but who knows, might as well put more humans out of work and business.

Daris

When you say think on his feet, i assume for growth of floor?? Machine would be geared towords floors over 4000 sq ft. vct, lvt, ceramic, floor and wall surface.

When you say think on his feet, i assume for growth of floor?? Machine would be geared towords floors over 4000 sq ft. vct, lvt, ceramic, floor and wall surface.

Maybe in a few more generations of robotic technology this may be feasible. At the current labor rate I sure as hell don't see General Dynamics, United Technologies, MIT and Cal Tech devoting the investment needed to displace...........CHEAP labor with extremely complex, sensitive and expensive equipment.

The answer to your original question is no.

Emphatically no, because it's not a question of IF it can be done but WHY would you do it and that means what are the economics of that proposition.

NO.

On second thought these TOP engineering schools have notorious engineering competitions within and amongst themselves. In that context they do get access to these university resources.......kind of on a blank check basis to play around and research. In one very cool example of this game they make robots to FIGHT each other one on one. I could envision some context like this given FREE research and development costs where those........the smartest kids on EARTH, let's face it........could make a prototype of this machine you imagine.

Yeah, it's probably already POSSIBLE, but not feasible economically because of how cheap human labor is in the flooring industry.

Last edited:
I doubt that a machine could handle the constant adjustment needed on VCT unless the floor was perfect, and in 40 years I have yet to see a perfect floor. And adjusting for lippage on a tile floor as inconsistent as ceramic thickness is would be worse.
An like Incognito says, there would be no savings, labor is too cheap already.

So you are suggesting that the thickness variation of ceramic tiles would be a big problem.... meaning that installers compensate on the run by forcing in tile deeper or shallower in mud to eliminate lippage...

Are there big problems with manufacturers on the width ceramic tiles?? or are they ok

Economics of the proposition are.........
12X12 Ceramic installed at 240 sq ft hour rate with no lippage.... Floor or wall doesn't matter
LVT 18X18 with 1/8 grout installed at 2000 sq ft hour rate......

any economic advantages??????

Seen grout machines, and a machine that glues up wood, perhaps a machine that will spit out tiles with thinset on them.

There's a machine they're working on (I've seen videos of prototypes in action) that will stucco a wall. I view that as a little more difficult than laying tile. At least with the tile you don't have gravity fighting you. And yeah, the job it was doing would not replace a skilled tradesman, but it could do a lion's share of the wall with the pro doing the touch up to make it seamless.

Economics of the proposition are.........
12X12 Ceramic installed at 240 sq ft hour rate with no lippage.... Floor or wall doesn't matter
LVT 18X18 with 1/8 grout installed at 2000 sq ft hour rate......

any economic advantages??????

Who preps the floor? Who snaps the lines? Who spreads the glue? Can the machine unload the truck?

Someone has to deliver the machine, set it up, point it in the right direction-------program it. I assume there has to be a human involved to supervise at some point but certainly to stop the machine and haul it back to the store/shop/garage.

So THAT person basically has to be there all day.......(every day?)

Doesn't make sense for a store or their subcontractors. Maybe a general contractor who already had to be on site with employees and other subs could in theory use the machine to displace the tile setters. But can the machine layout, open cartons, mix thin set and make the cuts?

You do know that slapping in the full tiles is the fastest and easiest part of the installation, right? Man, it would sure SUCK to have the machine do that and you still get stuck with all the dirty work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back