Average salary

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got in the trade, we were considered craftsmen and were respected.
Now we are considered general labor and the stores think that anyone can install. That's one of the reasons I no longer repair another "installer's" mistakes. If they want it done right, hire a pro in the first place or live with it.
A local nursing home hired two guys, I know both of them, to install about 200 yds of carpet. They butchered it. (he didn't save much money, they charged $6 a yd and he provided the adhesive). When the owner called me about repairing it, I told him I was not interested. Apparently, all the installers here told him the same thing. He is having to live with it. Next time, just maybe he will hire a pro.

My last 12 years I did work on a guaranteed salary. Boy did I ever like that. Wished I could have done that the previous 30 years.
Made a huge difference getting credit also.

Daris

Sweet. But how were the actual work hours spread out? Was that a minimum salary + production/piece work bonuses or some other incentive scheme?

Some union guys negotiate "a guaranteed 40" with their bosses which can't be enforced by the Business Agents as it goes directly contrary to what's been negotiated as far as overtime. Basically they agree to "charge" a straight 40 even if some of that is outside the 8 hour day Mon-Fri scheme. Either they "bank" overtime hours to be paid out in future weeks where no work is available to complete 40 or they go in the hole and then HAVE to work weekends, nights and long shifts to make up the difference. I never wanted to play those games but they've been offered to me on many occasions. It's not that I'm so strict in adhering to the union contract. I just see that running amok and NEVER working out in my favor over the long run.

Shops pretty much never negotiate something "on the side" that's better for the men who agree to it in the long run that what their Business Agents already agreed to. Why belong to a union if you're going to go into the office and play "Let's Make A Deal"?

My salary was set on 8 hours, 5 days a week, unless I had a CFI certification and then I was allowed to go without any cut in pay. I was usually gone at noon on Friday. 2 weeks paid vacation. Would have gotten health insurance but already had it through my wife. I very seldom had any overtime and wasn't paid for any as it usually was my being slow or I wanted to take care of a repair and it was in the boonies. My salary at the time was close to a grand a week + $400 a month gas allowance which sometimes wasn't enough but it was most of the time.

Daris

I made 28k last year in flooring installs. I found the key is to sell install services and negotiate a decent price through the big box, HD.

By the way, had two large contracts nothing to do with carpet, which brought in another 120k.

I get down and dirty with the illegals, making sure they only make 5/hr when I get into a bid situation with them. Just force them to lose money and they find something else to do, it seems......

That and the local ICE number handy and if I suspect them to be illegals they get a dime dropped on them. I refuse to allow known illegals to make money if I can help it.

Latest posts

Back