Can someone answer this for a member from another site? Or... Rusty, could you go onto Houserepairtalk and answer this for the new member?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'm in a similar situation. Renovating an old house where there is baseboard trim already installed flush with the hardwood floor. We are having carpet installed and I was wondering whether or not to remove the baseboards to lift them up a half inch before painting and before carpet install to accommodate new carpet. My preference would be to leave them where they are, clean them up and paint them with the rest of the walls then have the carpet installer do their thing with me adding shoe molding at the very end.
Based on the conversation on this thread, I am reaching the conclusion that there is not really an "industry standard" answer to the question of does there have to be a gap under baseboard for carpet edge to be tucked into.

Does not need a gap. No reason to remove the base molding. If there’s quarter round now I would remove that. No reason to put the quarter round back or install shoe molding after. Paint them first. If you get good installers you shouldn’t even have to touch them up after but be prepared to do so.

Yeah, it's really more up to all the variables and then personal preference than any hard industry rule.
If I had hardwood with a wood base set on top-----(no quarter round or shoe?) I would not remove and replace the wood base. Nor would I add a quarter round over the carpet. I'd just have the walls and base painted first and trim the carpet net with no quarter round.

If there was a shoe or quarter round I would pull that and delete it from the scheme.

Does not need a gap. No reason to remove the base molding. If there’s quarter round now I would remove that. No reason to put the quarter round back or install shoe molding after. Paint them first. If you get good installers you shouldn’t even have to touch them up after but be prepared to do so.
You beat me!

Tack strip was designed to be used with the base on the floor. It is underbeveled to help lock in the carpet. It also makes it easier to trim and get it the right length.

I'm assuming you are carpeting over the hardwood? If so, I'd leave the base.....
....however if the base is 2 1/2" tall and you're putting in some thick carpet, the base will look smaller.

Latest posts

Back