Cnet is accused of bundling malware with downloads

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And God knows what else that you get with that free software.:D

I have learned if you pay, you are waisting your money big time.
I had Nortons for a year and a half till they dropped the version I had then. (2002)
I have had free stuff ever since and only one issue with a Trojan ever passed through the gates undetected. ..............and I use the internet rather than TV as my babysitter, so I am on here and there and everywhere for many hours each day.
How many would Norton's have caught over the free ones?

Might as well toss your money out the window............ throw it................... a LOT of it, 1,100 miles in a northwesterly direction on a windy day. :D
(soon)

Last edited:
TECHNOLOGY PUBLISHER Cnet has been accused of bundling malware with the security scanning software Nmap through its Downloads web site.
Source:

The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14BIG)

I was having issues which seemed to be caused by Avast, which I have used for a long time. My issues were that my internet speed was being very heavily consumed (dialup :rolleyes: ) at the 99% rate sometimes........... not just the usual morning virus update. So bad that I had a hard time even opening my e-mail or doing a Google search. My internet graph from task manager source (MSN dialup, not a CPU issue) seemed to be running 99% continuously at times.

I got huffy and deleted it, even knowing how long it would take me to download the new program.................. a good 6 hours?
(I did it overnight as I slept, so no real deal)
Next morning, the file I had saved it to had a file size a bit smaller than what it should have been, and the icon said Incredimail , not Avast. :confused: ............so I deleted it and tried again.
I clicked to download Avast, so this was not my error.

This second attempt, I selected to download from the "official mirror site" option
I used Majorgeeks for this Avast download both times.
(many sites seem to offer more than one download website option to choose from)

It downloaded fine the second time and is working fine. Avast's newest version looks the same so far, but the computer appears to operate faster and the morning updates seem to load faster.
........film at 11:00 they say. ;)

Avast is rated very high among users.
............. if you download it, be sure to select the "custom install" option so that you do not install Google Chrome browser, Google Chrome Tool Bar, or the Avast internet ratings option.

............. move slow during the install and pay attention, ......because they will trick you if you move too fast during the run part of the install.
......they want you to include options you might not want to have, or had previously unchecked. ...no biggie, just pay close attention to the pages before saying OK and proceeding to the next one during the installation process.
Only a couple pages anyway ....so how bad can it be? :D

AVAST has been berry berry good to me. (SNL joke)

Last edited:
I was having issues which seemed to be caused by Avast, which I have used for a long time. My issues were that my internet speed was being very heavily consumed (dialup :rolleyes: ) at the 99% rate sometimes........... not just the usual morning virus update. So bad that I had a hard time even opening my e-mail or doing a Google search. My internet graph from task manager source (MSN dialup, not a CPU issue) seemed to be running 99% continuously at times.

I got huffy and deleted it, even knowing how long it would take me to download the new program.................. a good 6 hours?
(I did it overnight as I slept, so no real deal)
Next morning, the file I had saved it to had a file size a bit smaller than what it should have been, and the icon said Incredimail , not Avast. :confused: ............so I deleted it and tried again.
I clicked to download Avast, so this was not my error.

This second attempt, I selected to download from the "official mirror site" option
I used Majorgeeks for this Avast download both times.
(many sites seem to offer more than one download website option to choose from)

It downloaded fine the second time and is working fine. Avast's newest version looks the same so far, but the computer appears to operate faster and the morning updates seem to load faster.
........film at 11:00 they say. ;)

Avast is rated very high among users.
............. if you download it, be sure to select the "custom install" option so that you do not install Google Chrome browser, Google Chrome Tool Bar, or the Avast internet ratings option.

............. move slow during the install and pay attention, ......because they will trick you if you move too fast during the run part of the install.
......they want you to include options you might not want to have, or had previously unchecked. ...no biggie, just pay close attention to the pages before saying OK and proceeding to the next one during the installation process.
Only a couple pages anyway ....so how bad can it be? :D

AVAST has been berry berry good to me. (SNL joke)

All these software sites are like that today Hi.
Waiting to see how Cnet responds to the bundling .
That was a good and safe site to download from .

Tomato > Tomoto . :D
I only said that because some people might might not be real good at interpreting. :D

When running a new program, carefully read and pay ultra close attention to any of the boxes that are pre-checked by the company providing the service as you run and install the program.
Pre checked boxes are most likely not part of what you originally wanted to download. .....it's add on crap above and beyond what you probably want to have.
So look closely and click carefully before you proceed to the next page as you install your new program.

How'd I do ?

Latest posts

Back