Crazy jobs

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspect1

One floor at a time!
Pro
Jobs you have done or walked from. Back in the 60’s I eas working hourly for a labor shop, the owner came to a couple of us and offered us a piecework opportunity! How was ecstatic
He was offering us that he scored a job hanging 100000 of wall base in a new building, @ $1 a ft, materiel on site provided by the GC.
He was offering.20 cents a ft, Me and my buddy went to take a look. As we went into the basement garage we see 10 skids of dusty dirty boxes og coiled Vinyl base, looking closely there was a mfg date from 7 years before. Opening a a box it soon became evident that the plasticizers has long ago left the box. We tried different adhesives, heating the base, every trick we knew but it just kept curling off the wall. We gave up after about 1000 ft and went back and told the owner it would not work He said we were just young and dumb! Several other guys tried and finally used contact adhesive to complete the job. After everything it cost him $1.25 a ft to finish! One of the wort bungled jobs I have seen! Good lesson for a young guy though

Was sent out to do a job in KC. About a dozen gang members were standing in front of the building, went back to the store and quit. Went into an occupied public housing apt. Room was empty except for a couch. Moved the couch, they had set it over where someone had taken a crap.

My brother, God love him, tries to throw work my way, but sometimes the desire to help clouds his intelligence, even though he’s more intelligent ( like highup’s Bro, and also by-polar opposite 😂 of me )
Anywho, he wanted me to make a stencil/ template for painting lines. I interrogated him with questions about the job, he said “ Do you want the work or not ! 😖 “ I said NOT ! Then googled it and hooked him up to a company that sells what he needs 😎
I wonder if I’ll get a bone to chew on ?

My father who sold carpet and never installed, sent me out to a job 50 miles away to stretch in a unitary backed carpet. I said it can't be done. He said glue the pad down and the carpet. Thing was the pad was 5lb rebond. So I went. 40 below that day with armstrong stearing in my 71 ford pu. I turn into the driveway which was about a mile long and there were fresh tracks going into the ditch. I get to the house and the guy was thawing out by the wood stove said it was he and coming home from the bar he drove off the road and had just got home. No coat just a flannel shirt on he walked about a mile in that cold home. So I went to work gluing down rebond pad a the unitary backed carpet and all good.
Years later, he got busted with a bunch of drugs in his trunk down south somewhere and thrown in jail. His girlfriend that was there when I installed, hung herself in the house.
After about ten more years, the house gets sold out of probate.
I get sent to that same house to carpet the whole thing for the new owners. Total remodel and the crew was complaining still about that one room with the glued down rebond.
When we see things done that aren't right, there probably is a reason.

When I first moved back to my hometown in 1992 after being in KC for 20 years, I hit up the local stores for work. One had just fired their installer because he was an addict. I spent a month repairing the jobs he had installed over the last couple months. Talked to him this morning, he got straight and is still installing at 82.

Latest posts

Back