Ditra Matting and/or C-Cure Flex Grout Failure

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sista

I am attempting to document failures anyone out there may have had when using Schuletter Ditra Matting and/or C-Cure Flex Grout. My brother was a Union Journeyman Tile Setter with over 20 years experience. He successfully had used Schluter’s Ditra Matting many times with no problems. Then during 2006-2008 time frame, he had two failures. Had reps come out to inspect the failures and was, of course, told that it was not the matting. It was recommended to him to repair and replace using C-Cure Flexible Grout, which he did at his own expense. Now, here we are in 2012 and he is being threatened with a lawsuit due to continued failures. Due to the economy, he was forced to change careers and is no longer in flooring (and like many of you, I’m sure struggling financially). Any information any of you would have regarding failures with Ditra and/or C-Cure would be very much appreciated………..Thanks, Sista

Dang Sista, that stinks. Did he have C-Cure go there as well? Did anyone give a reason for the failure besides "It's not our fault?"

Not much help with this but I have done many inspections of tile over Ditra and never once was the Ditra at fault. It was always installer shortcuts therefore installer error.

And C-Cure? I quit working with C-Cure products many years ago - just too many problems with their grout products.

Sista: (Via PM) "Bud, thanks for your input. Yeah, the C-Cure rep. was no help. Would you mind providing me with more specific on your experience using C-Cure grouts. I DO understand about installer error, but my bro did EVERYTHING exactly as instructed. He's very thorough (sometimes to a fault). He had quite a customer base; many repeat customers, now this. He feels like he's been hung out to dry. No support from anyone."

The last time I used any C-Cure grout was back when all the (C-Cure) grout powder was the same and to arrive at any specific grout color you added the a colored liquid to the dry white powder. Therein was always the issue. Tiny little dots of powder would not incorporate nor would they color properly. The installations always resulted in freckled grout. The product when mixed and dried also had a tendency to shrink and develop cracks on its own more so than any Portland grout I had ever used.

It's been years now, I would hope that the C-Cure had changed by now.

The last time I used any C-Cure grout was back when all the (C-Cure) grout powder was the same and to arrive at any specific grout color you added the a colored liquid to the dry white powder. Therein was always the issue. Tiny little dots of powder would not incorporate nor would they color properly. The installations always resulted in freckled grout. The product when mixed and dried also had a tendency to shrink and develop cracks on its own more so than any Portland grout I had ever used.

It's been years now, I would hope that the C-Cure had changed by now.

I sure hope so too. Thanks.

Sista

Hello Sista, I’m here to help.
I don’t know why everybody talks bad about C-Cure. In Sista’s statement one can see that the problem was there before C-Cure was used and C-Cure was given a chance to fix the matting/installation problem. I understand that the installer had 20 years of experience, but, needless to say, I heard that statement a million times. I refer to this as “installer luck”.
Now Sista, I can give the answer of what happen to the floor if you give me more info about the floor. The installer with his experience knows exactly what I’m looking for.
BTW, I used Ditra back in Germany 24 years ago.

Sorry to hear of the problems your brother has had with these installations. I would hope that the C-Cure had changed by now.

Obviously, if you read the Sistas statement, the problem is the mat, NOT the C-Cure product.

Latest posts

Back