Domino or biscuit joiner

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.J.

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Wouldn’t we all love to have a Domino but for $1700 that’s not gonna happen any time soon for me when I can get a biscuit joiner for a couple hundred. I know we have a couple woodworkers on here. Have you guys n gals tried either one or both. I’ve used a Domino before and they’re nice but is the precision over a biscuit joiner worth the nearly 6 to 7 times the price?

I wouldn’t say I need one either but that doesn’t mean I won’t buy one😏. I’ve been able to get by so far with using dowels or borrowing a buddy’s Domino when necessary. The Domino is definitely the cats meow but I’m also looking at dropping close to 2k when it’s all said and done buying everything vs $200 for a Dewalt biscuit joiner.

I have a few projects in mind that I’m going to be making out of pallet wood now that I have a fair amount of time on my hands and I’ll be using pocket screws as well as I would like something to line things up and keep them flush during assembly. Pocket screws have a tendency to move slightly as the screw gets its first bite, due to the angle of the screw, unless you have things clamped tight. That’s where the biscuits would come in handy and save me time from either sanding off the amount of movement I’ll get or having to route then sand that amount of off. I’m sure you already know, sanding sucks.

I had a beautiful coffee table that had a split in it. I purchased a biscuit joiner and saw it was fun to work with. Ive since used it to install floating shelves and many other household projects.
17065854517825728677449610053214.jpg
17065854717802799741857473374449.jpg

You guys sound like my wife. My excuse is the fact that every time I go to Costco, the price has increased, so if it is a staple you use all the time, why not just buy it now and get it for cheaper. A bit more on this closet. It originated as my forced heat and A/C closet. Adjacent to this closet was a small linen closet, which was really too small for anything. I removed both the linen and A/C closet doors, built the "Costco" closet, and added a nice bright light, and it is now a dual purpose closet. It is amazing that this pic I posted can let everyone know their eating habits!

Here are a few more pics of the build. It also has a quick access pop up door that accesses the attic quickly.
20161115_140636.jpg
20161119_112323.jpg
20161122_184103.jpg
20161116_130454.jpg

That's gotta be the Costco pack. You have to buy ~8 XL size tins at a clip.

I went to Fry’s the other day cus I needed some Irish Spring. I figured I would get a 3 pack or whatever smaller size they had. All the other brands of soap had singles and 3 packs but good ol Irish Spring only has a 12 pack. What the heck.

You guys sound like my wife. My excuse is the fact that every time I go to Costco, the price has increased, so if it is a staple you use all the time, why not just buy it now and get it for cheaper.
Stop posting and take out the trash ! 😜

If I had a nice pantry like that, It would look the same, but my lovely sister in-law
only gave me 5 small shelves on the back of the pantry door. 🥲 Even though there are lots of shelves, she must have access for the useless stuff never used 😡 …. But as you guys so humbly know, acceptance and secret work arounds are the only options to keep the peace. 🤣

I haven’t bought soap or shampoo for appx 1 year, thanks to old tenants leaving it behind. I typically check out the old carpet conditions for cat pee and they sometimes leave stuff behind for me 😃 My small part for sustainability 😊

Soap is nice but what is the coolest thing that you’ve gotten because someone else left it behind?

what is the coolest thing that you’ve gotten because someone else left it behind?
A Young guy with good taste, skipped town a few years back and we shared the same foot size. Got practically new sneakers and dress shoes and a Leather jacket. But The best finds , where a small portable radio, Thermos, drink cooler, and a big map of the world, all came from two separate longtime tenants, who I became friends with over the past 21 years. They both passed on and The family members left some stuff behind for my safe keeping.

You guys sound like my wife. My excuse is the fact that every time I go to Costco, the price has increased, so if it is a staple you use all the time, why not just buy it now and get it for cheaper. A bit more on this closet. It originated as my forced heat and A/C closet. Adjacent to this closet was a small linen closet, which was really too small for anything. I removed both the linen and A/C closet doors, built the "Costco" closet, and added a nice bright light, and it is now a dual purpose closet. It is amazing that this pic I posted can let everyone know their eating habits!

Here are a few more pics of the build. It also has a quick access pop up door that accesses the attic quickly. View attachment 18306View attachment 18307View attachment 18308View attachment 18309
Wow, that turned out really nice. 👍

Wouldn’t we all love to have a Domino but for $1700 that’s not gonna happen any time soon for me when I can get a biscuit joiner for a couple hundred. I know we have a couple woodworkers on here. Have you guys n gals tried either one or both. I’ve used a Domino before and they’re nice but is the precision over a biscuit joiner worth the nearly 6 to 7 times the price?
I've never used either. If I was building tables, benches or dressers, dominos would be the ticket. Biscuits are good for making joints even, but not a lot of contact area for strength.
Lotta moola, but damn they look like fun. 😁

The Domino is definitely the preferred tool. There is a gang dowel tool that isn’t that expensive but if I was using that many dowels for my projects I would already have a Domino. Guess I’ll just have to be patient and not buy a bunch of other shit if I really want one bad enough. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back