New hardwood floors..have a few questions

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhed

Hello there,
Thank you so much for this forum. Like many, I started my search at LL, then found Build Direct and, after a lot of research and talking to some local contractors, decided to ditch both and buy locally.

We are installing 1,000 sq feet of 3/4 inch red oak no. 2 solid hardwood flooring =(glue on concrete) purchased through our contractor for a grand total of roughly $7,800 (all materials and install). I keep forgetting to ask who supplies the wood, but I believe his cost is around ~$2/sq ft. At that price, it's likely from China, no? Is the wood going to be awful to maintain? Originally, we were going to spend ~$5-7/sq ft, but after further evaluation we decided it wouldn't be worth it in our neighborhood.

Additionally, due to my asthma and the fact that we have small pets, we went with a water-based sealant because he said it wouldn't offgas as much after installation. I also like the finish of the water v. oil. Will the water-based polyurethane be as effective as the oil in the long run? I also read that the water-based finish will dull over time whereas the oil-based will become richer. Is the difference in finish over time really that dramatic? We will not be staining as we enjoy the natural color of the red oak.

I understand the life of the water-base is shorter, however for my health I'd be willing to live with that.

And, last but not least, should we really plan to be out of town during the installation? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that, but know we probably shouldn't stay in the home. What do you guys think??

Thank you so much!

$2.00 is a fair price for MADE IN THE USA quality milled, unfinished #2 common red oak. I don't know of any unfinished red oak made outside of North America. Factory Finished is where the big mark-up comes in.

Water based finishes don't amber over time like oil does.

Hello there,
We are installing 1,000 sq feet of 3/4 inch red oak no. 2 solid hardwood flooring =(glue on concrete) purchased through our contractor for a grand total of roughly $7,800 (all materials and install)...

And, last but not least, should we really plan to be out of town during the installation? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that, but know we probably shouldn't stay in the home. What do you guys think??

I'm at $5.50 per sf to mechanically grind clean concrete subfloor, Install glued down hardwood and provide a one step moisture protection urethane adhesive...and my distributor charges me $2 sf for an unfinished NA red oak.

I'm saying that seems relatively cheap or under bid. I wouldn't go out of town and would document fully every step. Including moisture testing.

Last edited:
Is it 2 1/4 x 3/4? If it is I'd rather slit my wrists than glue down strip flooring. Takes forevah. The last 3 3/4 strand I glued down was not fun, but paid the bills. I add for anything below 3.

Ernesto said:
Is it 2 1/4 x 3/4? If it is I'd rather slit my wrists than glue down strip flooring. Takes forevah. The last 3 3/4 strand I glued down was not fun, but paid the bills. I add for anything below 3.

I've made 5" my standard and customary. Up charge for under or over. Tile, I've made 16" with 3/16" joints my standard. Up charge for under or over.

I've made 5" my standard and customary. Up charge for under or over. Tile, I've made 16" with 3/16" joints my standard. Up charge for under or over.

Pretty much close to mine as well on the wood unless the layout is super easy.. I think anything over 15 in should be treated as extra intensive labor due to the extra mud it takes to keep it flat. And 3/16 is still looking kinda large for my taste, it's the quality and the sizing that keeps me from going tighter unlesss it is stone. Stone is usually rectified much squarer than fired tiles.

redhed said:
Hello there,
Thank you so much for this forum. Like many, I started my search at LL, then found Build Direct and, after a lot of research and talking to some local contractors, decided to ditch both and buy locally.

We are installing 1,000 sq feet of 3/4 inch red oak no. 2 solid hardwood flooring =(glue on concrete) purchased through our contractor for a grand total of roughly $7,800 (all materials and install). I keep forgetting to ask who supplies the wood, but I believe his cost is around ~$2/sq ft. At that price, it's likely from China, no? Is the wood going to be awful to maintain? Originally, we were going to spend ~$5-7/sq ft, but after further evaluation we decided it wouldn't be worth it in our neighborhood.

Additionally, due to my asthma and the fact that we have small pets, we went with a water-based sealant because he said it wouldn't offgas as much after installation. I also like the finish of the water v. oil. Will the water-based polyurethane be as effective as the oil in the long run? I also read that the water-based finish will dull over time whereas the oil-based will become richer. Is the difference in finish over time really that dramatic? We will not be staining as we enjoy the natural color of the red oak.

I understand the life of the water-base is shorter, however for my health I'd be willing to live with that.

Thank you so much!

Make sure the hardwood is "short" in order to stick to the subfloor and they use urethane glue(not water based)!!!

$2 isn't TOO terribly cheap, though it is definitely on the cheaper end of the spectrum. We carry solid 2/3" red oak #2 unfinished (i'm assuming you're using unfinished?) for $2.25/SF to $2.89/SF, and we get our wood from manufacturers that source locally (Shamrock and Aacer). So just because the price seems on the low end of the spectrum doesn't mean it's from China. (You should, of course, look into where your wood is coming from, regardless of price).
Hope the installation is going/goes well!

Latest posts

Back