Fix tools

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Do you usually repair your tools or do you send them out? A few years ago, I made some parts for my old Roberts stretcher, they don't make parts for it anymore. I recently took my iron apart and replaced a wire. I once, took 2 broken tackers and made one.
I have a Roberts tacker that quit this week, I assume it's a fuse, I'll try to repair that soon. I enjoy working on stuff and it saves money,

You can just drop the tool off at a Distributor around here , and they send it out . Of course they charge you .

I look at a tool quitting as a sign. Usually, its a great excuse for me to buy a new tool! Ive got a 10" miter saw that the plug fell off of, my stubborn helper insisted that I let him replace the plug. He's only working weekends with me now so I think its time I get a nice new one.

I've ALWAYS been a fix it junkie. I get a lot of pleasure being able to make something keep going without having to pay someone to do it or toss it out. When my wife heads for the dumps, I always look in the truck to see if there's something I can fix. Kids toys, old chairs, whatever.

I've got so many broken or wore out tools from the many years in trades that I've got plenty of spare parts. Sometimes I can fabricate a part if needed. If the tool is under warranty, I'll send it in.

I'm a fixer upper too! I won't work on cars though. I hate grease after being a aircraft mechanic in the Navy. But I do almost all repairs around home and such.
I had a $400 glue gun that had a short in the cord, so I sent it in to be repaired and got it back saying it couldn't be. I thought that was BS so I took it apart. It ended up all I had to do was cut the wire off about 6" and it had a screw in block and push the wires back in and lock the screws down and I was good to go. After that I make sure to find out if I can't fix it before sending anything in.

Daris

That's what really fires me up is when someone tells me it CAN't be fixed. A similar story to yours Daris. I've had a small table saw that I use for laminates for quite a while. It started to squeal after 10-12 years, so I went about getting parts to fix it. They told me that it was a throw away saw and you'll never find the parts for it, so toss it. I took the motor out, disassembled it and went to the auto parts store with the bad bearing. Guess what, they had one to match.:rolleyes: Back together it went and I'm still using it today.

We've really become a throw away society. Kinda sad.

In the mid 80's, I decided I finally needed a powerstretcher. The local distributor was pushing Crain, so I bought one, both heads, the whole deal. It was that stupid one with the square tube. It never worked right and they finally told me to take the lock off. And it still would bind up, Anyway, I stopped in a pawn shop one day and bought an old Roberts, Jr with poles for $100. Loved it, it worked so smooth. About 8 or 10 years ago, it finally got so sloppy that it was hard to use. Roberts told me that they no longer made parts for it and I should dispose of it and buy a new one. I made shims to tighten it and fabricated a new part to replace a broken one and it still works great.

I usually fix my tools then buy a new one asap. I throw it in the garage in a separate tool kit just in case some dope head steals my tools I have another set ready to go.
You should see them though, jb welded power stretcher, tractors with missing wheels, seam irons with multi color cords and a few duck taped tools. Haha.

I have been hitting up www.ereplacementparts.com like it's nobody's business. They give you the break down of the tool and you can order everything down to the smallest screw. I just ordered the Allen screws for the faceplate on my bostitch guns and the wheel for my dewalt table saw.

Floorist said:
In the mid 80's, I decided I finally needed a powerstretcher. The local distributor was pushing Crain, so I bought one, both heads, the whole deal. It was that stupid one with the square tube. It never worked right and they finally told me to take the lock off. And it still would bind up, Anyway, I stopped in a pawn shop one day and bought an old Roberts, Jr with poles for $100. Loved it, it worked so smooth. About 8 or 10 years ago, it finally got so sloppy that it was hard to use. Roberts told me that they no longer made parts for it and I should dispose of it and buy a new one. I made shims to tighten it and fabricated a new part to replace a broken one and it still works great.

Yep I just traded for one , a guy came into my store and tried to sell it to mefor$800 I said I let the guys know .i told him maybe it was to much and told him maybe1-200$ , it was brand new !! A few months went by , they called and asked if I would give them a room of carpet and install it for an even trade ... It was the best 50$ I ever spent and I still have it it's still like new

Latest posts

Back