Flooring choice. Please help

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memohis10

I am trying to decide betwen the 2 options mentioned below:

1. 3-1/4 inch, white oak grade 1, solid hardwood nailed down, site finished

2. 5 in, white oak grade 1, wear layer 5mm unfinished engineered, site finished

Cost is the same for both. I like the look of the wider plank engineered. Just getting caught up on 2 things. a) Is it stupid to get enginnered when I can get solid wood for the same price2) Why is unfinished engineered not that popular considering the fact that it has all the advantages of soild wood (site finish, multiple times refinishing) and the advantage of being less susceptible to humidity variations

I like real hardwood. 4” wide seems to be the sweet spot that I see a lot of being installed right now but outta your two choices I’d go with the 3 1/4” over the 5”.

My thought is that it depends on your climate. I live in a high desert, so I almost always recommend engineered. But, if you are in a place with relatively consistent humidity; I would go with the solid product.

I like real hardwood. 4” wide seems to be the sweet spot that I see a lot of being installed right now but outta your two choices I’d go with the 3 1/4” over the 5”.
What is it about the solid wood that you prefer over the site finished engineered? Does it have a different feel or look that I cant get on the engineered.

My thought is that it depends on your climate. I live in a high desert, so I almost always recommend engineered. But, if you are in a place with relatively consistent humidity; I would go with the solid product.
My floor guy said that there are issues going with a wider plank (more thsn 4 inches) on solid wood in my area. So people want the look of the wider plank go with engineered. Site finished engineered is such a rare install, that I am not getting much information.

My floor guy said that there are issues going with a wider plank (more thsn 4 inches) on solid wood in my area. So people want the look of the wider plank go with engineered. Site finished engineered is such a rare install, that I am not getting much information.
If the floor wasn't really dead flat you'd likely damage engineered sanding through to the plywood backing any high spots. It's not a good idea.

If the floor wasn't really dead flat you'd likely damage engineered sanding through to the plywood backing any high spots. It's not a good idea.
That’s a good point. I was hoping the installer would know these things. I know there are places that needs to be leveled and he will be charging me to do that. Thanks

Latest posts

Back