FloorMuffler, Do The Math

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
When ever I use floorMuffler I am always confused and distraught by the claims they make about superior moisture protection. I know we have some great mathmeticians here so this is what just freaks me out.

The claim says; Provides Superior Moisture Protection. Exceeds industry standards by over 700%. (3lbs/1000sqft/24hours)

But then on the back side of this paper insert on the roll, in the instructions it says; "If installing over concrete, the concrete must be dry with moisture emission ratEs that do not exceed 3lbs. per 1000 square feet per 24 hours as measured by the Anhydrous Calcium Chloride Test."

Now , how the hell is that 700% better than what? Most underlaymnents are made to that limit anyway. So again, if the industry standard is 3lbs/1000sf/24hours then how is it theirs is 700% better than that? Then require what? Six mil plastic under it like everyone else does? Am I going MAD??? LOL

I think theres some fuzzy azz math going on here. Can someone explain?

Ill go right over concrete with floor muffler without vapor barrier. I suppose I should have done a little research before doing it but my sales rep who has pretty extensive flooring experience advised me against using addition vapor barrier.

I'm still confused. Whats point 3 lbs got to do with anything? Is point 3 ibs a standard? I never heard of point 3 lbs for anything.

This is a urethane product similar to silent step. It's useless as a vapor retarder. I always use 6 mil on concrete regardless of the underlayment. I learned that the hard way.

Point 3lbs ain't shit. Its like puppy pee on a rug. I would like to see this industry standard for underlayments they refer to because I have never heard of it. But even my favorite, sound solutions requires 6 mil too. I never use it under sound solutions and never had a problem.

Point 3lbs ain't shit. Its like puppy pee on a rug. I would like to see this industry standard for underlayments they refer to because I have never heard of it. But even my favorite, sound solutions requires 6 mil too. I never use it under sound solutions and never had a problem.

Yer not kidding. I guess you could say that ALL of these underlayments will not protect flooring from anything at or above 3lbs yata yata yata.

I'd like to see this underlayment moisture standard myself. Perhaps it has something to do with ASTM E96. Which I do have on my confuser here somewhere. But the point 3 just throws me off as I have never ever heard of anyone suggesting that that was a limit of any type of measurement in a standard about moisture vapor emissions. I think it may be a typo, but it has been there for years.

I guess we will have to assume that ALL underlayments are only a cushion when it comes to mver.

Whilst I am at it I'd like to voice my opinion about the floorMuffler and it's directions and other things.

First off, they want you to run the underlayment perpendicular to the run of the flooring. This is not going to happen on many of my jobs because; A) The shit tears very easily. So by the time you get across a room it may be totally destroyed and compromised by the nicks and tears unless it is a small room.
Then you have obstacles like furniture in the room and if you have to work your way across the room taking out carpet with furniture in it it will not work.
B) The shit tears easily...oh, I already said that. :rolleyes: OK, it compresses when walked on thus compromising it's acoustical benefits.
C) It is not cut straight like many other underlayments so there are gaps along the edges, again compromising the moisture retardation at the seams.

What else, well I just don't like it. Gimmie some SoundSolutions any day.

Latest posts

Back