Hardwood around posts

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maico18z

photo6-46.html

Hopefully the image came through. If the didn't, I have two 10" diameter load bearing round pine posts in the middle of the room.
I have 5/8" solid hardwood. I am coming up on these posts and am wondering what you guys might do here. I know I need to leave a gap but asthetically it won't look right. What about undercutting the posts? I guess I'm a little concerned as they are load bearing. I've heard about using cork in the gap and staining but I think that will still be noticeable.
I'll also mention we are in the Sierra Nevada Mountains at about 5600 feet.
We don't have the big differences in humidity that other parts of the country experience.
Thanks for the help.

how about using a round base from a porch column?

or a large diameter rope wrapped around it at the base in some sort of decorative style?

I like the rope trick. You could also use a leather whip. A decorative like snake crawling up the post. Have the bottom wrapped with a tile, like glass, you know, use your imagination.

I like the rope trick. You could also use a leather whip. A decorative like snake crawling up the post. Have the bottom wrapped with a tile, like glass, you know, use your imagination.
Nice, I like these ideas. I actually found some flexible molding online after I posted the question but now, you've got me thinking, thanks.

I did a 9 by 14 walk in closet for a local architect with some Kahrs prefinished engineered. His home was built on green, treated piling. These piling are visible all over in the home as they come up through the floors.
This walk in closet that I did was on the highest level of the home, so any "bearing" load was the roof, not any of the floors. I think the tree trunk/post was about a foot in diameter at this level. It was located about 3 feet out from the wall. I asked him if I could cut a 3/8" expansion gully in it and he said OK.
Any chance you could ask the architect? I'd bet that these kind of posts are well over sized for aesthetic purposes.

I would undercut the post a little...when you consider 4x4's to 8x8's are used all the time in building I don't think undercutting a 10" post a 1/2" is going to cause a failure. Although I would ask just to CYA.

damn maven, i can see myself in that floor!

It's wet, ha. Do I have to teach ya to take a magazine shot? ;)

Interestingly enough the columns were originally undercut 1 1/2" to receive a 3/4" plywood subfloor on radiant heat concrete & 3/4" oak. That floor failed and I came in with a 1/4" subfloor and 3/8" solid hickory. They wound up making base out of copper to wrap the columns. Point being the logs were speck-ed over-sized for the task plus they sit on footings. Both Highup and nick make great points...talk to the arch. and the floor is going into the reveal.

1-hickory_template.JPG

Latest posts

Back