Hardwood Flooring on Stairs

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

I'm replacing all wall-to-wall carpeting with prefinished 3/4 solid 2 1/4 inch red oak t&g strip flooring (Muskoka). I would like the same flooring on the stairs leading to the second floor. My plan is to remove the micro bevel from each strip with a router, glue the strips together, route the nosing and attach each tread. The current tread under the stair carpeting is 3/4. I've read lots of reasons for NOT doing stair treads this way, primarily from tread manufacturers and was looking for some feedback from those that have actually done this or have opinions as to whether this is a good way to go.
I've completed putting this flooring on the first floor and like the product.

I'm replacing all wall-to-wall carpeting with prefinished 3/4 solid 2 1/4 inch red oak t&g strip flooring (Muskoka). I would like the same flooring on the stairs leading to the second floor. My plan is to remove the micro bevel from each strip with a router, glue the strips together, route the nosing and attach each tread. The current tread under the stair carpeting is 3/4. I've read lots of reasons for NOT doing stair treads this way, primarily from tread manufacturers and was looking for some feedback from those that have actually done this or have opinions as to whether this is a good way to go.
I've completed putting this flooring on the first floor and like the product.

How is that nosing going to look after you have routed the finish off? Sounds like twice as much work as using proper 5/4 treads.

I had to make some transition pieces out of the flooring where it abutts a vinyl floor in one room and a slate floor in another. I had to chamfer the edges which removed the factory finish. The flooring is natural and applying an oil semigloss polyurethane gave an indistinguishable match. If I couldn't have gotten the match I wouldn't have even thought about making the stair nosings. Muskoka does not make stair treads so I would have had to find them someplace else anyway.

The supplier that I ordered the flooring from told me I was looking at treads that would cost around $80 each. I figured I could make mine for a lot less. I've got the tools and the time. But if you could recommend a tread manufacturer I would appreciate it. There seem to be so many manufacturers. I figure that flooring work takes time and isn't a do over project so this isn't the thing to learn from my own experience.

I get my treads from Menards...if I recall a 48" tread is about $30. You can use a 1x8 for a riser or oak plywood. I prefinish the treads and risers prior install, I can do a set of stairs in a day or less.

Thank you for your suggestion. No Menards in my area...but I did find similar products at a local lumber yard. Do you use 1 inch or 3/4? Also do you bother to remove the existing tread and riser? I'm aware of a code rule concerning maximum difference in largest and smallest difference in riser height between stairs. The rise from the floor to my first step is already in violation.

I use the 1" treads. You may have to shim some spots to get the rise to work out.

Latest posts

Back