Hi Guys

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCFloorGuy

Hey everyone, longtime follower, first time poster. 2nd generation installer of carpet, hardwood, vinyl and ceramic based in the DC area. My dad contributed a good bit to TheFloorPro forum before passing about 3 years ago (handle was Glueit). I always enjoyed the conversations there and glad to see the same crowd here. Looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.

Thanks for joining in. I can't figure out where all the TFP members disappeared to. Sorry to hear about your dad passing.

Losing Jim and TFP was the end of an era. The next generation of installers doesn’t necessarily want to be on a forum dealing with the last generation of installers, especially when you can just YouTube something and be done with it. Then you have the overall decline of the industry. Who the hell in their right mind wants to become a floor covering installer these days when you can literally make more money starting out working at Taco Bell. Then you throw in the differing opinions on politics, that you can talk about on here, and it’s no wonder the up and coming generations aren’t anywhere to be found on a flooring forum.

Losing Jim and TFP was the end of an era. The next generation of installers doesn’t necessarily want to be on a forum dealing with the last generation of installers, especially when you can just YouTube something and be done with it. Then you have the overall decline of the industry. Who the hell in their right mind wants to become a floor covering installer these days when you can literally make more money starting out working at Taco Bell. Then you throw in the differing opinions on politics, that you can talk about on here, and it’s no wonder the up and coming generations aren’t anywhere to be found on a flooring forum.
Why'd TFP end? Edit - if it's on this forum and I just haven't looked, apologies for the laziness.

Thanks for joining in. I can't figure out where all the TFP members disappeared to. Sorry to hear about your dad passing.
Many of the older ones retire/died! Others (like me) went to work for mfg, distributors, or retailers and sort of transitioned away from the independent world of installation.

I think he did but that person retired from flooring, and no longer wanted the position.
If you mean Barry, a couple years ago he was still doing floors. He did have a Facebook page, "The Art of Flooring by Barry Carlton". Here is one of his creations. Barry is the best I ever saw.

barry.jpg

If the new and upcoming installers care about what they do ...
They will seek out forums just like I did.

I wanted to know stuff. There was never simple stuff that came my way.
The shop I worked with then (and now almost 50 years later) sold mid and higher end products. I was Mikey...... "See if Mikey likes it"
Well the shop offered me the difficult stuff and I do not like being defeated. I also cared for the shop, so I didn't want the shop to look bad.......
I would lose my ass before allowing the shop to look bad.
Because of my determination and pride in the place that gave me my work, I accepted jobs that I didn't want to..... Wovens, hand sewn stair runners. 🤯
I learned....... I was at times pressured because the jobs had been told and the customers were promised I was "the guy" 😳
To not let the shop down, I had to do my research every time an oddball job was thrown at me.
That said, I feel that I still now nothing ....and can't sew worth a shit either. 🤣

I was and am still a self diagnosed OCD recipient. I don't know when to cut corners.
I'm done when I'm finished.

On topic again.... many years ago, I searched out " flooring forums " ......actually not long after flooring forums came onto existence.
I almost immediately learned I had been doing carpet seams wrong.
I used a straightedge..... that's how I was taught, that's what I did (Quite successfully I might add)
if all I did was housing tracts, I'd never have searched out flooring forums.........
....why? Nothing to learn. Same every day, push, push push...... You're a robot. You WILL be replaced if you skip a beat.

If not for flooring forums and the advice I have been blessed with from people I know and trust......
......I might be living in a tent right now.
I'm serious.
I cannot ask a single installer in my small local area and bank on the info I am given.
The replies are like "well,sometimes this works pretty good" 😳
...... flooring advice and the experiences of others cannot be learned solo.
Ask questions no matter how simple and basic they seem.

Guys..... If your sorry ass's feel good tonight...... It might be because I kissed them. 🤣
Thank you guys.
I just wanted to let you know that the advice you provide is appreciated very much. 👍

Last edited:
If the new and upcoming installers care about what they do ...
They will seek out forums just like I did.

I wanted to know stuff. There was never simple stuff that came my way.
The shop I worked with then (and now almost 50 years later) sold mid and higher end products. I was Mikey...... "See if Mikey likes it"
Well the shop offered me the difficult stuff and I do not like being defeated. I also cared for the shop, so I didn't want the shop to look bad.......
I would lose my ass before allowing the shop to look bad.
Because of my determination and pride in the place that gave me my work, I accepted jobs that I didn't want to..... Wovens, hand sewn stair runners. 🤯
I learned....... I was at times pressured because the jobs had been told and the customers were promised I was "the guy" 😳
To not let the shop down, I had to do my research every time an oddball job was thrown at me.
That said, I feel that I still now nothing ....and can't sew worth a shit either. 🤣

I was and am still a self diagnosed OCD recipient. I don't know when to cut corners.
I'm done when I'm finished.

On topic again.... many years ago, I searched out " flooring forums " ......actually not long after flooring forums came onto existence.
I almost immediately learned I had been doing carpet seams wrong.
I used a straightedge..... that's how I was taught, that's what I did (Quite successfully I might add)
if all I did was housing tracts, I'd never have searched out flooring forums.........
....why? Nothing to learn. Same every day, push, push push...... You're a robot. You WILL be replaced if you skip a beat.

If not for flooring forums and the advice I have been blessed with from people I know and trust......
......I might be living in a tent right now.
I'm serious.
I cannot ask a single installer in my small local area and bank on the info I am given.
The replies are like "well,sometimes this works pretty good" 😳
...... flooring advice and the experiences of others cannot be learned solo.
Ask questions no matter how simple and basic they seem.

Guys..... If your sorry ass's feel good tonight...... It might be because I kissed them. 🤣
Thank you guys.
I just wanted to let you know that the advice you provide is appreciated very much. 👍
I wish that forums had been around when I started. It would have kept me from a lot of mistakes.

Latest posts

Back