Hiring a helper

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Most of my installation career, I have worked by myself. But for a few years I was doing churches, commercial buildings,etc. I had another installer who worked for me daily but always wanted a helper to shag tools, gluebuckets and pick up scraps. Always had trouble finding a young person who wanted to work. One showed up in Jordache jeans and Nikes and of course didn't want to get dirty.
Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Most of my installation career, I have worked by myself. But for a few years I was doing churches, commercial buildings,etc. I had another installer who worked for me daily but always wanted a helper to shag tools, gluebuckets and pick up scraps. Always had trouble finding a young person who wanted to work. One showed up in Jordache jeans and Nikes and of course didn't want to get dirty.
Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Finding a good person to learn the flooring trade is next to impossible. I get calls almost three times a week from guys looking for work. Some have tools, some don't. Some have many years of experience but could not pass a background check. Some have no vehicle and cannot work legally in the states. I probably would not trust very many on my jobs working alone.

Last edited:
Being an employer is very difficult and few have the temperament and/or ability to succeed. Partnerships seem to work better in this business.

ive tried at least a half a dozen times with no luck---should i pick a)-lazy b)- drunk c)-stupid or d)- none of the above---you decide

As long as I've been in the trade, I've only had two helpers that were really helpers. The rest were just a PITA. Had one guy tell me he'd been in the trade for a couple years, so I left him with a new house to strip and pad. He was going on vacation that weekend and asked if he could get paid before the job was done because I wouldn't be seeing him later. I paid him, and that Monday when I got to the job, he'd put all the strip in backwards and tight to the wall.:eek::mad: THE WHOLE HOUSE!!!

In the last 18 years my brother and I work together when we need help. We both went down the same trade road. Works nice and we don't have to mess with workmans comp and the likes. Kinda nice.

For an independent flooring contractor who doesn't have the benefit of a partnership and just wants to make a living- the temporary labor pool can be a good idea. If you're one that wants to grow a business, good contracts that can support higher compensation for skilled employees are essential.

Last edited:
Finding a good person to learn the flooring trade is next to impossible. I get calls almost three times a week from guys looking for work. Some have tools, some don't. Some have many years of experience but could not pass a background check. Some have no vehicle and cannot work legally in the states. I probably would not trust very many on my jobs working alone.

We have quite a few very good apprentices in our shop and in the union generally. They are HIGHLY motivated and fairly compensated. They make just enough money to buy the appropriate tools and cover all the relevant transportation costs. Contributions are made to their pension starting on day one. (wasn't like that when I started out) Their families can receive health coverage within 3 months if they can manage to stay busy enough at a shop to work to qualify (I think it's 280 hours per quarter)

Shops can pick and choose who they want to work every day so it's an intense competition for steady employment with no guarantees for anyone-----including me. Believe it or dont I have to tell these kids NOT to run across the job site to go fetch something I need. I've had them offer to work overtime off the clock. They're typically sitting in the parking lot 20-30 minutes before I get there-------afraid to be late on account of traffic they leave their houses at RIDICULOUS times. They'll travel out of town. They'll work any hours you ask them too. It's amazing how cooperative people are when you pay them time and a half and double time on Sunday! Being hungry with bills to pay and kids in diapers to feed really adds to this pressure to please.

This all comes down to the supply and demand curve. At a certain price there's virtually an endless supply of quality labor.

I've seen the other side of this. Back in the '80s in New England there was so much work apprentices and journeyman could write their own ticket. It wasn't so easy getting guys to hump out production when there were shops fighting over them. It wasn't even so easy to get them to SHOW UP at all. Everyone was loaded with side jobs on top of their union jobs and would just roll into work the next morning WHENEVER if they felt like it. Then there was the whole problem with booze and drugs in that era that seems to have dissipated........at least in my world.

Good help is always out there. You just have to find the right price point based on current market conditions.

Latest posts

Back