Hot Knifing

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This afternoon, I looked at a click together Shaw plank floor and I'm guessing right now as to the causes of the buckling that this floor has. Heat from sunlight is doing it.
I'm wondering if that's what a solid vinyl plank floor does when the sun heats it in just one spot. Laminates are strong enough to move the furniture that resides upon them............ meaning that if the laminatew want's to move , it will.
With thin vinyl planks, the heat would allow it to warp and move upwards because it's not stable enough nor strong enough to move the furniture....... so instead, the furniture becomes the locking point and the planks expand upwards from the heat and buckles.

Yep, I've spoken with some manufacturers tech people about weight limits on those floating vinyl planks, like double wide fridges and wall units. They don't want to hear it. Because the crap would not sell. It's gluedown only IMO.

Yep, I've spoken with some manufacturers tech people about weight limits on those floating vinyl planks, like double wide fridges and wall units. They don't want to hear it. Because the crap would not sell. It's gluedown only IMO.

Maybe they need a super skinny pad under them to they can slide on the floor easier. Slippery, like heavy mil plastic sheeting.

Last edited: