How long has Marmoleum had he "Topshield" factory coating

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I installed a Marmoleum sheet floor about 10 years ago, and it has a lot of layers of acrylic floor polish on it.............. specifically, Holloway Quick Shine floor finish.
http://www.hollowayhouse.net/products/56-quick-shine-floor-finish.aspx
I'm just assisting the homeowner in making a decision on removing many layers of finish. Seems the house keeper used it as regular maintenance instead of just mopping the floor. :rolleyes:

Forbo has confusing info on products and ways to perform the removal.
First on the list tho, is my topic title.
How long has Topshield been put on sheet Marmoleum?

I know this might be a too simple solution for ya but call the tech dept and ask. :D

i used to see that all the time with mop and glow----wax on wax on wax and no stripping----we used to suggest the armstrong stripper---new beginnings i think---just put it on full strength and let it sit 10 minutes or so---sponge mop it up and you should be good to go--as for marmo---dont see that much round here

i used to see that all the time with mop and glow----wax on wax on wax and no stripping----we used to suggest the armstrong stripper---new beginnings i think---just put it on full strength and let it sit 10 minutes or so---sponge mop it up and you should be good to go--as for marmo---dont see that much round here

Marmo needs special strippers, and even then, they don't advise using them.
Strippers will soften linoleum yet can harden other things.

Marmo needs special strippers, and even then, they don't advise using them.
Strippers will soften linoleum yet can harden other things.

Wait a minute. Are you talking about a stripper that takes off wax or one that takes off her clothes? You know I had to ask just to clarify this conversation, don't you.

Daris

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the main problem area where she started removing the wax. Man, couldn't have started in a worse location.
The rest of the kitchen looks pretty good. So does the small pantry and the 10' by 16' pass though area leading to the kitchen. Most of the floor needs just a good power scrubbing by a professional to remove or buff off some of the wax buildup, and then put on another couple of coats of new wax.
The hard part will be feathering out and blending in this doorway area. Where the wax shine stops, it's a bit of an irregular and abrupt edge down to the Marmoleum factory finish where you see the more satin looking area against the wood. The factory finish looks like it is totally intact. If that can be done, the rest will be pretty simple............. for a janitorial service with the correct tools and experience. ;)

I'm just doing a bit of customer PR here and trying to get a handle on the problem so I can recommend the best solution. I have a friend that does commercial janitorial work. I'm just saving him some time by looking at the problem and then conveying information to him on this rather unusual situation. I do have a 13 inch buffer, but not the knowledge on how to use it for anything but sanding filler.

The photos are all of the same doorway from different angles.

1 Hill flooring problems.jpg

1 Hill flooring problems 3 sheen change across doorway.jpg

1 Hill flooring problems 3 sheen change across doorway 2.jpg

1 Hill flooring problems 2.jpg

You say that floor is about 10 years old? The reason I'm asking is years ago [before my time] people used to varnish their lino to make it shine and that almost looks like it when it peeled off.

Daris

The only thing before your time is dinosaurs, and they just beat you by a couple years.:D

You say that floor is about 10 years old? The reason I'm asking is years ago [before my time] people used to varnish their lino to make it shine and that almost looks like it when it peeled off.

Daris
It doesn't flake off at all. It's stuck on there really well. Homeowner used ammonia to soften the wax, but she said that she then used a scraper on the parts soaked with the ammonia and it came up in small flakes or sheets. I think she kinda nibbled away at this, then realized it was way to much time and effort to be done by hand. The damage has been done, so now it will be interesting on how to make it look good again without damaging the lino.
I'll suggest the varnish........................... NOT! :D

Latest posts

Back