How much felt backing can remain under laminate?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-man

Okay, I'll say it: It was a VERY bad move for me to try to remove my 50 year old linolium floor before laying laminate. But, here I am!

I have about half the floor stripped to the bare sheet wood substrate, but a thin layer of felt backing from the old laminate floor remains elsewhere.

Is it crucial to get this off? I know I don't need to tell your folks here what a PITA that is. If I use a quality laminate with a quality underlament, can I put it down over the top of the remaining felt? (Please God, let the answer be YES)?

If it's a floating installation, you probably just need to use some floor patch to feather out the floor until it meets the manufacturers flatness requirements. Those old floors and felt backings contain asbestos, so it might be wise to seal up that felt with a product like KillZ or Zinzer stain blocking primer. I mean the oil based primer, not the latex versions. If you truly mean "Linoleum"....... and not vinyl, then the floor was adhered with linoleum paste (adhesive). Water will reactivate that adhesive and you will end up with a slimy mess of goo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it, and yes Highup, I've been concerned about the asbestos risk as well.

I suspect the top layer of flooring was sheet vinyl, but I can't say about the bottom layer since it was probably laid in the 50s.

I also went to Lumber Liquidators and talked with the manager there, who says he spent a good deal of time as a flooring installer. He suggested that if I go with a quality 12mm laminate with integrated backing, and laid down a good quality wool underlayment, that I'll be fine laying this atop the remaining felt. That'y my plan right now, unless you folks strongly disagree with that. I'm not going to seal the floor with primer first because once the floor is down, any asbestos will be concealed by it.

Thanks Nick, for the tip.

So I found a way to get that crap off with reasonably little effort: I used a Fein MultiMaster reciprocating too with a smooth edge blade, and it worked wonderfully. It takes some time but it's essentially effortless.

Thanks Nick, for the tip.

So I found a way to get that crap off with reasonably little effort: I used a Fein MultiMaster reciprocating too with a smooth edge blade, and it worked wonderfully. It takes some time but it's essentially effortless.
That blade sharpens nice on a good sharpening stone if you keep the blade angle right. The fan from the tool will spew around any dust, so if it is asbestos there will be a lot of it in the air.
A razor scraper might work even better. Cut the hard surface of the vinyl into 2 to 3 inch wide strips using a utility knife and some sort of straight edge and peel the strips off one row at a time, keeping the scraper's angle low and consistent. If it's asbestos, even this method will release dust. It used to be recommended that as the layers were peeled off, a spray bottle with water be used to keep the residual felt damp as you work, thus reducing and dust. Not sure what the laws are where you live about homeowners and removal and disposal of this stuff. Contractors are not allowed to even look at asbestos or the powers that be, will fine you into an early grave...... seriously.
http://www.amazon.com/360-4-Inch-Professional-Stripper-20-Inch/dp/B000VYQMGG

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back