Identify this hardwood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnie

Could someone tell me what type of hardwood this floor appears to be?
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/89/20121031134629327.jpg
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4586/20121031134639116.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/449/201210311346497.jpg

It is a foreclosed house I bought. The bank had someone cheap refinish the floor and they did a poor job in some areas. I would like to stain with a medium brown color like Bona Special Walnut. Any comments on how that stain would work with this wood?

Thanks.

Thanks for response. Reading forums, it seems about 1/2 are against, and 1/2 for staining the hickory floors. I definitely do not like the current high gloss finish. So I will have it sanded and see how the natural wood looks. If I like the natural look, I will use something like Bona Naturale finish on it. Any comments on the no-gloss Naturale finish vs a 25 gloss finish like Bona Moga (without any staining) ?

It's really a matter of taste.

image-1497642658.jpg

The lower gloss satin looks very good to me. Better than the unfinished natural look.
Guess I prefer a medium brown color though.

One more dumb question: Can a floor finish like Bona Mega be used on the kitchen cabinets also?
That would produce the exact same level of gloss on the cabinets and floor. Or I guess the
cabinet finish could be used on the floor - the guy selling the General Finishes stain said their topcoat
finish worked well on floors also.

Last edited:
I do a good bit of hand scraping on hickory. In that case, we always do a stain on it. It helps to make the distressing show up. It's by far my favorite wood for distressing, because god made it to be so colorful.

We tried several stains on a small area of my hickory floor. The wood would not take any stain, too much blotching. There was one damaged board that I replaced. The new board stained just fine. So some hickory will stain ok, some won't.

If u want the best looking hickory floor stained, try water popping it. Just a small amount of water is all it takes. What we do is use a small garden sprayer, wipe off the excess water, let it dry, then stain. Try it for your sample

The lower gloss satin looks very good to me. Better than the unfinished natural look.
Guess I prefer a medium brown color though.

One more dumb question: Can a floor finish like Bona Mega be used on the kitchen cabinets also?
That would produce the exact same level of gloss on the cabinets and floor. Or I guess the
cabinet finish could be used on the floor - the guy selling the General Finishes stain said their topcoat
finish worked well on floors also.

I don't think their should be any problem with it, I have used the same for my floor and cabinets.

Latest posts

Back