Leveling and finishing old, uneven Maple flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domanico

Hi Flooring Forum! DIYer and first-time poster here.

I moved into this 40-year old house a year ago. I ended up having to re-do some wooden trim in the kitchen to generate a few extra inches for a new refrigerator. First of all, when the old fridge was removed I was surprised to find the Maple flooring underneath was sanded down to the same level as the rest of the kitchen, but not sealed. Second, as you can see in the pictures, the flooring that was under the trim that is now exposed is higher than the rest of the floor, probably by around a 1/16-inch.

I'm writing to get tips on how to best sand down that original flooring in the pictures. I'm not sure the best way to do it without damaging or over-sanding the rest of the flooring. I'm not looking for perfection, as this will be mostly out of sight, but wanted to at least get the floor to a place where I can reseal (and feel like I did the right thing).

In my possession, I have a random orbital sander and a vibrating finishing sander... but understand that I might need to look further for the right tool. Also, given the relatively small scope of this project, manual labor isn't a concern.

Thank you all so much!

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 129
You may be able to rent a hardwood flooring sander, called an edger sander it'sadts made specifically for doing areas against the wall where a big floor sander will not work or fit.
Our local Ace hardware rents those types of tools.

Latest posts

Back