like a recent topic, built up floor in sleepers.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Just asking because of a job I measured recently.
It's maybe a 6" + step up from a 1960's garage into the kitchen.
The garage is 12 by 22ish. Unknown moisture levels, but the home is not at the base of a hill. The home is probably a couple or a few feet above the roadway leading to it.
Anyway it currently has a washer and dryer in it and has not had a garage door for many many years. It's just a big utility/storage area.
Now that we've got that covered, the entire house is going to have some type of a laminate or lvp floor in it including this garage area. The garage area is going to be raised up to the level of the rest of the house, again about six and a half or 8 inches max....
I'm not raising the floor so I didn't pay attention but it's just a single step up to the rest of the house.
Being it's going to be raised with sleepers, what would be the best way to seal this garage floor? Black mastic and tar paper or some miracle moisture reduction product that does not require a shot blasting?
I don't know what the contractor plans to do but I thought if I had any pearls of wisdom I might throw it his way. Most everyone else here has lots of pearls and I have no pearls regarding a project like this.
What should they do to seal the floor before putting in the sleepers and plywood?
Would it be advisable to put in PVC a duct and a small continuous fan to provide at least some ventilation?

I think we used either 10 mil or 20mil Visqueen under the sleeper systems. Cove it up the walls so any moisture vapor vents out around the perimeter. The lumber is pressure treated so it's going to withstand a lot of moisture.

Latest posts

Back