Looking for old brick style floor tiles

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rebi said:
Hey anyone out there have any old brick floor tiles?

Reminds me of the old kentile floors.

2006_pd974705_1.JPG

FloorMaven said:
Reminds me of the old kentile floors.

That's exactly what I need. My parents have this in a 12x12 tile. I need to replace only 3 tiles and don't know where to look to find them. It is over 40 years old!

rebi said:
That's exactly what I need. My parents have this in a 12x12 tile. I need to replace only 3 tiles and don't know where to look to find them. It is over 40 years old!

No kidding. I use to install that back in the day. Kentile went out of business in 1992 after the asbestos scare. You might be able to find some on eBay from time to time.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2013/02/kentile-park-slope/

Last edited:
I believe the two brick kentile was 9" x 9". There was a three brick pattern too, maybe that's the 12".

Could someone clue a layman such as myself as to how that floor would be layed? I see a distinct seam between the joints of this brick, and looks like it is a "peel and stick" type of tile?

havasu said:
Could someone clue a layman such as myself as to how that floor would be layed? I see a distinct seam between the joints of this brick, and looks like it is a "peel and stick" type of tile?

Same as vct, but because it had A instead of C it was a bit more pliable. Asbestos was king of the hill for a long time.

Rebi, call around your area. If there are any stores that have been in business 40 or more years, they may have some laying in a warehouse. Do you have any local contractors that salvage old buildings? Some of those guys save everything for resale.

I am looking for this exact Kentile brick tile pattern (Colonial Brick) in Woodstock White. Does any body have a box or know where I might get some? Thanks!

Same as vct, but because it had A instead of C it was a bit more pliable. Asbestos was king of the hill for a long time.

We used the term "solid vinyl" as opposed to VAT or VCT and we used a different glue and different install method. We always did a "wet lay" install rolling immediately with a 100 lb roller as opposed to allowing the VAT adhesive to set up. I recall using Henry 356 a few times but moreso with solid vinyl the manufacturer's and customers wanted it laid into epoxy.

I recall laying these in supermarkets, liquor stores, bars........

Now that I think about it I recall the FIRST day I had to go buy a 100 lb roller to lay this exact pattern. I'm sure it was Kentile. I was sent to the American Legion bar/club in Cheshire, CT. Took me 12-13 hours and then I hung out and they bought me beers and whiskys til I stumbled out of there God only knows what hour. Had to be roundabout 1982 and I still have the same roller. Just swapped out the axle last summer.

nice looking floors

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back