undercutting stone/ brick fireplaces

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Don Monfils, Jul 13, 2019.

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating:

1. Jul 13, 2019 #1

Don Monfils

Don Monfils

Don Monfils

Professional Pro

So I just picked up a diamond blade for my Crain 812 undercut saw. Any pointers or advise on undercutting stone or brick.
    I have always scribed to fireplaces.

2. Jul 13, 2019 #2

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

Dust collection in every way you can come up with. I'm sure a second person with a good vacuum hose held almost on the blade would be a good idea. I modified my 4" angle grinder to do under cutting, but I've only done it a few times. I just used a reconfigured cardboard box with a hole in it to connect my vac hose. I kept the box right up against the grinder as I went along. Large grit and fine dust was directed to the boxes opening, so most went in there and got sucked up.

3. Jul 13, 2019 #3

Don Monfils

Don Monfils

Don Monfils

Professional Pro

0A7A2497-1AC2-4530-B9B1-40D7A26FD777.jpeg My saw has a dust port for a tiny vac hose.
    I’m thinking of using that and also have someone follow with a big shop vac close to the blade ( like you suggested)

4. Jul 14, 2019 at 4:55 PM #4

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

I have a photo of my shoddy little box saved somewhere but can't find it. I trimmed a box down to maybe 3 inches tall by 10 by 15 or so with the top and one end open. Looks more like a dust pan. Anyway, you cut an opening for a vac hose on the end and put a little weight on it... nothing heavy, just a scrap of plywood. I think I added a narrow carpet scrap along the hearth side of the box as a gasket of sorts.
    I work solo so I have to do crazy stuff like this sometimes. You might do as well with the second hose as you mentioned and maybe use a narrow or a crevice tool on the vac wand and held right close to the blade.