LVP over tile floor prep

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaeljftsmith

I have a customer that wants to put 9 inch wide stone core vinyl plank flooring directly over their tile. The tile that I'd be going over is square edge, about 6x18 wood look porcelain, on a 1/3 tile pattern, with 3/16 grout joints. Should I skim coat the floor or am I good to go to install directly over it?

You’re not gonna have any problems bridging grout joints with a rigid core product but any lippage will need to be dealt with. Put a straight edge on the floor like usual and grind the high spots, fill in the low.
Awesome thank you. I figured I wouldn't have any issues with a rigid core product but I just wanted to get a second opinion. This is gonna save me about a days worth of work not having to do that.

Because I am lazy and getting old, we also wanted to install LVP over our 20" x 20" square porcelain floors. The company wanted to charge me $10k just to remove the floor, but because I had enough room to install on top of the old porcelain floor, I gave the installers their choice how to proceed. They skim coated the porcelain, which had to be sanded down smooth. It was a mess. They were working on 800 sq feet for nearly a week, and we ate dust the entire time. Once the installers became exhausted, they chose to not skim coat the back of the house, and honestly, there wasn't any difference in how the LVP looked.

Because I am lazy and getting old, we also wanted to install LVP over our 20" x 20" square porcelain floors. The company wanted to charge me $10k just to remove the floor, but because I had enough room to install on top of the old porcelain floor, I gave the installers their choice how to proceed. They skim coated the porcelain, which had to be sanded down smooth. It was a mess. They were working on 800 sq feet for nearly a week, and we ate dust the entire time. Once the installers became exhausted, they chose to not skim coat the back of the house, and honestly, there wasn't any difference in how the LVP looked.
I'd be more worried about imperfections with a rigid core. I'd want it to be pretty flat.

Latest posts

Back