Microsoft Offering Data Transfer Tool for Windows XP Holdouts

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

In Remembrance
"This tool will copy your files, music, videos, email, and user profiles and settings from your old PC to your new device, transferring across your home or work network, and even enables Windows XP users to customize exactly what they want to bring over to their new device," Microsoft senior marketing communications manager Brandon LeBlanc wrote in a blog post.

The tool will be available for download in English starting later this week via WindowsXP.com. It will be released in French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish later in March, with Korean, Chinese, Russian, and Brazilian Portuguese versions to follow.

Meanwhile, to make sure everyone gets the message, Microsoft is planning to send out official notifications to Windows XP users informing them that support for the OS will end on April 8. The pop-up on your desktop screen will include a link to the Windows XP end-of-support website, where you can find more information. The notification will reoccur on the May 8 and on the 8th of every month going forward, unless it's disabled.

If you're not sure which version of Windows you're using, head over to AmIRunningXP.com. If the site detects XP, it will offer guidance on how to upgrade before April 8.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/xp/transfer-your-data.aspx

That's just their firewall Jon. If you have a firewall like Zone Alarm you're fine anyway . Seems like they change their position every day .

Jon, Try booting into safe mode and see if you get a screen then.

Dan after 4 confusers , you get a bonus of one , do that gives you 6 . :D

Last edited:
Fun fact: they are extending support only to banks. There are over a million atm's running xp. The banks have to pay for it though.

I think we probably have enough computers. Two desktops with W98, two desktops with XP, one laptop with Vista (ugh), 3 laptops with W7 (one is a gaming computer with Alienware), 3 laptops with W8. And I think in the back of the closet is my daughter's old desktop with Millenium.

Latest posts

Back